Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stroked 253

bruggy_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL
Hey guys,
So recently bought a VH sle. And found out the 253 has been stroked to a 308 with resized Con rod tunnels.
it’s got a large crane cam
new pistons molly rings
honed block
Machined manifold edelbrock performer duel plane
Hydraulic lifters
Performance valve springs
Extractors with 2 1/2 exhaust

The Trimatic has been rebuilt with a 2800 stall, custom made tail shaft with a 9” diff. Not sure of the diff gears.
I haven’t driven it yet as it’s in the shop having the body and paint done. What I’m asking is, what power would this have? How fast?
And would a bigger carby give me a bit more power as I can’t really do much more to the engine as it’s already done.

H

harrop.senator

I don't know enough about 253's but sounds like someone's bored a small capacity and fitted a 308 rotating

Depending on the compression and cam. I'm going to say should make 250 rwhp or so with a good tune.

I reckon it'll pull a solid 13 second pass, with a lot of wheel time and some chassis tweaking should go a high 12.

bruggy_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL
Yeah it is a bit of a guess with not knowing compression or cam specs. I rung the engine builder but he didn’t want to share any information as he wanted to buy it. But I got in first. Thanks for the information mate!!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah it is a bit of a guess with not knowing compression or cam specs. I rung the engine builder but he didn’t want to share any information as he wanted to buy it. But I got in first. Thanks for the information mate!!

Maybe give him a stupid price to buy this engine and get him to build a similar engine for your car...:p Might find out the specs then

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Hey guys,
So recently bought a VH sle. And found out the 253 has been stroked to a 308 with resized Con rod tunnels.
new pistons molly rings
honed block
Hydraulic lifters

The Trimatic has been rebuilt with a 2800 stall, custom made tail shaft with a 9” diff. Not sure of the diff gears.
I haven’t driven it yet as it’s in the shop having the body and paint done. What I’m asking is, what power would this have? How fast?
And would a bigger carby give me a bit more power as I can’t really do much more to the engine as it’s already done.
There is an optimum size for a carburetor. You don't mention what you have. As the engine has had a fair bit done to it it is likely to be the correct size. Wait until you have it on a dyno and go from there.

Reactions: Lex

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hey guys,
new pistons molly rings
honed block
Hydraulic lifters

yep.... and std heads no doubt as no mention of head work ( possibly as NO large valves will fit 253 bores)
all wonderful but it won't make shed loads of power

ps.. a bigger carby with that combo and std heads ? will use more fuel but no more power

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You cannot bore a 253 to a 308. They both use the exact same stroke.
Someone is feeding you BS because conrods don't have tunnels lol.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
yep.... and std heads no doubt as no mention of head work ( possibly as NO large valves will fit 253 bores)

ps.. a bigger carby with that combo and std heads ? will use more fuel but no more power

A bigger carby won't use more fuel it will just kill throttle response.

bruggy_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL

yeah your right mate. No head work just machined. Invoice is below. I’ll leave the carby for now.

Attachments

• CF546B6D-83AC-4781-988A-0AF4100DF1A2.jpeg
    CF546B6D-83AC-4781-988A-0AF4100DF1A2.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 67B49332-AB41-431B-BB59-DE1C6E98C72F.jpeg
    67B49332-AB41-431B-BB59-DE1C6E98C72F.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 128