Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stroked 253

H

harrop.senator

Nah would've been a 355 crank in a 253.
Strokes are the same but bores are different but for some reason holden made the casting smaller around the bores on the 253.
If they left it the same the 253 would.be a champ

Pretty sure he's talking the days before stroker cranks and 355's man. The 330's were an offset ground crank with chev or ford rod combo from memory. Lots of stock parts even more machining.

Thinning down rod big ends and bearings come to mind.

Small end bushing and Buick or Pontiac pistons.

They were a can of worms.

I think with an over bore they came out to a 333 or 334 or something.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They were 253 or 308 offset ground cranks,usually hemi 6cyl rods & some kind of chev piston...way before vn heads & harrop stroker cranks or even

First stroker cranks were for 215i vr engine...apparently was chev crank with holden front & rear welded onto it...untill they were able to start making them.

Did you know there were 235ci stroker kits for the humble red motor..even strata turbo kits for 202 & 308 torries

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
They were 253 or 308 offset ground cranks,usually hemi 6cyl rods & some kind of chev piston...way before vn heads & harrop stroker cranks or even

First stroker cranks were for 215i vr engine...apparently was chev crank with holden front & rear welded onto it...untill they were able to start making them.

Did you know there were 235ci stroker kits for the humble red motor..even strata turbo kits for 202 & 308 torries

Humble red motor......

H

harrop.senator

Ahh maybe the Ford was a chev rod and a bop style piston. All I remember is ACL used to sell skinnier bearings for the ground down rods. Even put out hi comp or valve relieved pistons for awhile for the use off offset strokers!

I've had a strata turbo kit on my Datsun. Grandad had one on an xf they're not bad , good size.

I don't know about the first stroker cranks being welded. Mines first three months of them , can't seeeeeeee welds but may be completely finished and re heat treated , but definitely has spike/a9l? rods and not chev journals.

But yeah 355 is definitely a lot newer then 330's lol.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I vaguely remember you could use chev/308 stuff in a hemi, with some machine work...Unfortunately can't remember the exact details.

Strokers for 186 and 202's were a Ford 221 crank...Lop the end off the Ford crank, weld the Holden ends on, machine the block so the crank can rotate, bore it 40 thou and fit either 200 or 250 Ford pistons, depending on what compression you wanted to run.... :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Heaps of good stuff marketed back then for ol' 202 from yella terra alloy heads,krogdahl etc...not much for poor red/blue 308 compared to imported chev gear.

As much as I loved my bushpig triple webbered 202 in gtr with pb 13.1 still had to go v8 as broke everything from flywheel to diff housing with 6cyl setup lol

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Heaps of good stuff marketed back then for ol' 202 from yella terra alloy heads,krogdahl etc...not much for poor red/blue 308 compared to imported chev gear.

As much as I loved my bushpig triple webbered 202 in gtr with pb 13.1 still had to go v8 as broke everything from flywheel to diff housing with 6cyl setup lol

Have you ever broke a crank?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Nope never damaged engine internally...

It did like to buzz the superlight flywheel loose...crank had locator dowels,loctited flywheel bolts but wasn't untill started tack welding them to flywheel did it stop them coming loose at high revs due to harmonics also alternator brackets & ithad weird 'staked' harmonic balancer to stop outer part spinning.

Early on swallowed intake gaskets untill found super thick asbestos type,clutch rod cable to rat trap snapped every few months if something else like diff centre or universal let go...it saw a lot of skids & racing.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Luvvin' this thread guys! Keep it going.
Not sure I like the " Grandad had one on an xf they're not bad , good size." though... I bough an XE NEW!

H

harrop.senator

Luvvin' this thread guys! Keep it going.
Not sure I like the " Grandad had one on an xf they're not bad , good size." though... I bough an XE NEW!

Hahaha hey he wasn't that young when he owned it! I think he bought it around '90. If it makes you feel better his first car was a 39 2 door chev and first bike was a 37 Harley.

The list of ones I've been told I remember was he swapped his 3 year old plum crazy GTS in 76 for 70.5 Z28 that was a road registered black top car. (They both raced national road racing in NZ and some dirt speedway through the 60's and 70's.)

About '80 he got rid of the Z28 for a Cosworth converted Anglia.

He sold that after a year or so to go do some of the original BIG lumber plans for PNG and Fiji.

After there came here , had the turbo falcon awhile but kept getting yellow stickers and lifting heads.

So when I was born in 92 and most of my childhood he had a brg mark 4 Cortina Ghia with the 4.1. In it.

Unfortunately his body and mind isn't as skilled as it was only a couple years ago. I had to do a twin cam head replacement on Nan's laser couple months ago.

He got all the manifolds off for me and re assembled but I just had to do the cam install , timing and main seals for him not bad for 76. Especially smoking almost an ounce of unfiltered rollies a day for 60 years and working 18 hour days!

Reactions: Lex