Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stroker kits for ECOTEC V6

C

cizocizo

Hey guys,

There are a few mentions around about stroker kits for the ECOTEC V6. Just wondering if anyone knew how much they were, and what sort of performance to expect from the kit??

Also has anyone actualy fitted this to their ride?

Cheers
Cizo

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
do you mean the new stroker kit? or the link? :whistling as far as i know, nobody here has bought a new ecotec stroker kit....yet

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
Can't see anything about v6s on COME's site, any ideas?

Cheers

T

Tradewind

Stroker kits

The stroker thing always interests me, particularly the idea that you are getting a LOT more of everything.

If one increases the capacity of a 3.8 out to say 4.3 that is only a 13% or thereabouts increase in capacity. In turn the engine will only ingest 13% more air to ultimately produce about 13% more power, if everything was perfect and there were no losses of course.

But considering that stock heads, manifolds, airfilters etc etc are usually getting near their max at full rpm ie flow is JUST enough at best, then adding extra capacity to the cylinders will only result in an engine with lower volumetric efficiency. So to make it all a goer, the stroker kit, plus redesigned cam, plus ported heads, plus better manifold, correct sized headers etc etc become very necessary to get something really meaningful happening.

Surely there are easier ways to make an engine breath more air, maybe not a lot cheaper but infinitely easier :confused:

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
I've been reading some posts by the guy from COME and he says that a stroker kit to 4.2L produces around 200kw (stock engine) and can easily be brought up to around 220kw and then from there you can do other mods etc..

Sounds like a pretty significant gain to me and at a cost of $2.5k, over 50kw and the posibility for even more.

Cheers

T

Tradewind

Strokers happening

200Kw is good for sure. Am thinking about the $2.5k, that is for the parts, I imagine someone has to fit this into the engine, engine removed and then returned to car, retuning, maybe better exhaust, maybe the heads weren't so good when you pull it down so more for rebuild on them. Prolly gaskets and stuff are needed.

I reckon it could add up in a big way for the unsuspecting stroker kit installer.

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
Tradewind said:
200Kw is good for sure. Am thinking about the $2.5k, that is for the parts, I imagine someone has to fit this into the engine, engine removed and then returned to car, retuning, maybe better exhaust, maybe the heads weren't so good when you pull it down so more for rebuild on them. Prolly gaskets and stuff are needed.

I reckon it could add up in a big way for the unsuspecting stroker kit installer.
Dad knows a fair bit about engines, building them etc he's gonna rebuild mine for me and I'm thinking seriously about getting a stroker kit (this will be 6months+ away most likely)...

He reckons around 1500 on top of the stroker kit for other stuff that you do to the engine when you rebuild it... So around about 4000 all up.

Note though that this isn't including exhaust, I think of that as its own kind of mod if you know what I mean, I'm speaking in terms of just the engine rebuild+stroking, around 4k.

Cheers

R

rufus

one of the guys i met last yeah breifly had stroked his vn.... i know its not an ecotec but its still V6... he used a brady crank to go 4.3lt.... its was off the road for a long time.... very expencive and not that much gain....
what he was saying, was he did the stroker and then rebuilt the rest of the engine around it... eg custom cam etc....
Now with the COME ones i think its a little easier.. they are marketed more, therefore i assume that they are confident in there product