Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stroker reliability - LS3

Vf Wayneo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss, ve senny, 1.5j is200
Gday Gents,

Ive always wanted a built LS so i could be mean to it, however ive gone and bought myself a built stroker ls3.

I was curious if anyone on here has any feedback and thoughts on reliability of ls3 strokers. Im hearing a few mixed messages and thought id make it worse by asking the internet.

Im guessing a build forged stroker will handle a lot more power but may not be for very long.

Anyone with experience on here?!

My build is 237/247 cam, 420ci, blown 2300 Magnuson, oil cooler, race sump

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u can get away with a little more on the LS3 from the bigger bore but the longer u go in the stroke 390+ the piston starts to leave the bottom of the bore and thus its a little less stable and it does wear on it a little more and the further out it is the worse it will be over time, so many are done with this and are still around so im not sure on a longevity side, i have got an engine going together and i kept it at stock cubes for boost just so the piston stays in the bore nice and snug and the iron block does have a slightly shorter bore then the alloy, cylinder wall thickness will be another as the alloy can detach from the iron bore over time even on a n/a but u dont hear much about that, as long as it was built for boost it should be fine

Vf Wayneo

Reaction score
Members Ride

Vf Wayneo

Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like i need to keep an eye on my pistons

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if they are forged they will be fine there are 2 different common alloys used in pistons each will be fine for your power level, u could prob make more power with less intake duration also, whats the LSA of the camshaft ?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Depends on who built it,the collection of parts for intended use (cam/heads etc) & tuning.

Workmate has vf clubbie daily driver built by sams performance 2300 blower,427 cubes,higgins heads,mild cam etc..it's obviously built tamer than other customer cars yet very reliable daily for something with 650-700rwhp on 98 fuel.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
:cool:

Last edited: