Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stroking 304 :P

king_rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Berlina wagon
Hi all looking at stroking the 304 to 355 in my vt berlina wagon, after a bit more power really for bragging rights lol don't really care about 1/4 mile times or that **** just a smicked up wags.
I'm no expert with engines or mods so probs will get help to build it. Would I be better off building my current engine or would it be worth while buying the stroker complete? Also what else is needed to cope with the added power trans, diff, computer etc. Thanks in advance guys, my current engine is the roller cam 304 with 209,000kms on the clock with a T350 trans I think. Not looking at doing the switch anytime soon but has always been on my mind.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Search and you shall find. Although it seems to be far better to get a pre made stroker from Pavtek. Personally for the cost I would strap a blower on your current motor assuming it's in good nick.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
1st, your stock trans is a 4L60E, later models got 4L65E and 4L80E I think. Your's may also be known as a T700-R4 I think, but that might be an early version that is slightly different, not sure.
T350 is an older trans, non electronic and I think it's only a 3speed.

if you only want HP figures on a dyno sheet so you can brag, it may be cheaper to chuck a big cam in there, big intake, decent exhaust and some laughing gas.

A good stroker would be a lot easier to live with day to day though. I agree with Wraith, get a purpose built crate motor (ie pavtek) and just swap them over.

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Hi all looking at stroking the 304 to 355 in my vt berlina wagon, after a bit more power really for bragging rights lol don't really care about 1/4 mile times or that **** just a smicked up wags.
I'm no expert with engines or mods so probs will get help to build it. Would I be better off building my current engine or would it be worth while buying the stroker complete? Also what else is needed to cope with the added power trans, diff, computer etc. Thanks in advance guys, my current engine is the roller cam 304 with 209,000kms on the clock with a T350 trans I think. Not looking at doing the switch anytime soon but has always been on my mind.

Find a good reputable machine shop and ask a lot of questions so you can come up with a combo that will suit what you want to do with it if your gunna go a 355 that's my advice.As for your gearbox I would say its a 4l60 and I would beef that up a bit.But hey if your just after bragging rights throw in a big hydro roller/stall/diff gears and it will be a nice car on the street.

king_rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Berlina wagon
Probably leaning towards a complete engine now since iv'e been reading a few threads and the home builds almost always don't go to plan. Are there any other reputable builders you guys would recommend other than pavtek? Just wanna have a squiz around first.

Also if I threw a crate motor in what mods are then needed to suit my VT? or does the crate motor have all of this covered? I'm mainly talking ecu/memcal etc. And what changes to the diff and trans would I need? Currently have lsd and not sure on trans I'd say a stock one. I'll chuck up the vin etc soon. Cheers guys