Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Struggling to remove steering wheel.

DazzaMang

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Utility Bench Flr. Manual Ecotec
I have a '96 VS ute and I'm having trouble getting the steering wheel off. I need it off as the wheel is currently rotated 90 degrees out of rotation of the wheels.

I tried rocking it off as per usual but it wouldn't budge, so I tried sending a bit of WD-40 down on the thread to help loosen it up a bit. Left it over night and this didn't work either. Then I tried have a mate smack it with a hammer from behind while I pulled. Also had my mate place a socket over the thread and smack it with a hammer to send force down the spline shaft while I pulled on the wheel. This didn't work either. I would look at using a steering wheel puller but there are not holes in the bosskit to screw it into. I'm thinking of trying a gear puller by putting the arms behind the spokes, even though it risks damaging the wheel. At this point I just want the damn thing off as I refuse to drive it until I have this sorted. This is my first project and I'm not too sharp with a lot knowledge of how to do different types of work, so if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it a lot. Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have always had success, hitting the steering wheel, at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions alternaterly about half a dozen times.....With the nut just at the end of the thread, I then grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and pull side to side until it pops against the nut.