Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut creaking/squeaking noise when turning

Benh11858

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I might see if anyone has had this problem before and might have an answer to my problem. Recently change over my shocks, replace new strut mounting kit with new ball bearings, everything seems great apart from it making the noise like rubber against metal that is coming from top around strut mounting. I took it apart again to check it out, everything looks fine and nothing is damaged so not sure why it's making the noise. About 95% sure all bolts done up correctly but I could always be wrong, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
sounds like the bearing in the strut top, gotta be careful how you install them as they can easily damage.

Benh11858

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
sounds like the bearing in the strut top, gotta be careful how you install them as they can easily damage.

Yeah I'm either thinking I've done it up too tight or not tight enough, any thoughts? It was new ball bearings I put in the new strut mount though.

Benh11858

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I replaced the ball bearings in the strut top when I changed over everything. I did think it was something to do with them, I'm assuming it was either not sitting right, tightened too tight or not tight enough. Any suggestions?

Benh11858

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Does anyone know as I'm not 100% sure how it works; but is the rubber type materiel strut mount that sits inside the housing and bolted onto the car, is that supposed to move on the bearings while the rubber stays fixed inside the mount point? I assuming that is how it works as it seems based on the type of noise that the rubber is moving as the wheel is turned instead of rotating on the bearings but I want to confirm the exact operation and it has been hard to find online.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
i think i may have the same problem got the same noise from one of the struts i replaced the bearings and strut top mounts over a year ago the noise has only just appeared however i did not tighten to the correct spec (i used a air gun) i have found the correct torque spec of 70 to 85nm but when i try to move the bolt on the top the entire assembly just turns

Benh11858

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
After you replaced them did the noise go away? I replaced mine and got the noise (originally was changing used shocks over and decided to replace struts as they were old at same time).
Unfortunately the Mrs threw out my old strut and bearings so I can't put old ones back in to see if noise occurs with old ones with the new shocks. No matter how tight I do nut to hold the rubber mount in place I can still slightly turn it by hand and when I tighten strut into the car noise is there when turning the wheel. It's like the rubber mount is grabbing and then turning against the metal of the car frame. You can see the suspension jump as it moves with the noise. Is the rubber mount supposed to move or is the part I was given wrong?