Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strut mounts whats the actual difference

c@l@is

Reaction score
Hi everyone how's it going :)

Been about 10 years since I used my vn (or this forum) decided to give it a birthday

What I'm wondering is oem style rubber strut mounts come in two different types, early vb-vn (pre 9/89) and late vn/vp 10/89 on..

My car is dec 88, I don't want to buy the early mounts which are more expensive when it looks like the late ones will allow for more camber, if the late mounts will fit and not cause issues it seems like a no brainer to go with them but wanted to ask first, any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

glad to be back on the vn and hanging out here :)

Cheers .. Matt

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
From memory it was that FE2 suspension was introduced in 89 so they needed to have a bit more positive camber built in to the mounts. The lower you go in the front, the more negative the camber gets. The later mounts will be better if you have lowered springs.

c@l@is

Reaction score
Hey Naaf thats a perfectly logical explanation thankyou very kindly.

I have a set of King SL for it and short throw ultimas so will order s2 tops over the weekend

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Later strut tops allow for more camber and caster adjustment as a whole.....The later and earlier ones interchange, with no problems.

I personally have VP strut tops fitted to my VC, for the more camber/caster variation it allows

c@l@is

Reaction score
The amount of early strut tops sold online is ridiculous and these days nearly everyone's car is lowered, if only people knew!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The amount of early strut tops sold online is ridiculous and these days nearly everyone's car is lowered, if only people knew!

You can still use early strut tops with lowered cars...My VC is lowered 50 Mm from standard (FE2 height) and prior to changing to later strut tops, I still was able to get my camber to 1 1/4 degree negative.....I'm at 1 degree negative now with the later ones

c@l@is

Reaction score
not much in it then! still worth it even for 1/4" lol :)

I always thought fe2 was only 30mm

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
do the kmac adjustable ones still exist?