Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut nuts and bolts

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Evening. Been doing the shocks. Everythings out of the car new shocks are in springs but not fitted to car. On the passenger side I have snapped a few bolts. The first are on the caliper bracket thing. They are pull out plug with goo inside with a bolt on top. What are they for and can I just replace them with new ones?

Second issue is iv snapped one the bolt that holds that bracket on. Thinking just drill it out and start again?

Their lots of fluid leak... Assuming it's brake fluid on the tubing at back of break. Is this normal or some thing leaking?

Finally when putting it all back together is there anything else I should be aware of. Need to bleed brakes and get a wheel alignment right.

Thanks Guys

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-07-22-09-48-90.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-07-07-22-09-48-90.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 134

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Some photos

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-07-22-09-43-62.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-07-07-22-09-43-62.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 109

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
...snapped a few bolts.
Dude it's your brakes, if you don't know what you are doing, seek a qualified mechanic.
At any rate, to get those broken off bolts out, you will need a screw extractor tool similar to these - https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...e/12577.html#q=screw+extractor+set&lang=en_AU

the way they work is you drill a smaller than the bolt sized hole into the broken bolt. then the extractor goes in the hole, much like a thread tap and you undo it to back the broken bolt out. they will save you a lot of hassle, I bought a set as a young lad when I busted the bolts holding the front shocker on my HZ Kingswood.

Last edited:

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Aaaa, we all been there done that. Adds to the joy of car ownership, gives you something to mess with

Have a look on YouTube at all the ways you can get a busted bolt out. You will be pleasantly surprised with all the good ideas. Like, have you got enough sticking out of anything there to cut a slot in it or file flats on it, so you can use a big screwdriver or grab it with an open ended spanner or shifter? Grab anything with vice grips maybe? Tap at the big one anticlockwise with a cold chisel or old woodworking chisel? You got a welder to weld a new head or a nut or a t-piece on there?

Soak what you can now with WD40 so it creeps in there by the time you have at it.

Use a left-handed drill bit, one that spins widdershins, if you do go drilling cause often it is enough to get it out if you've soaked it.

Next time soak the **** beforehand. Then, if you are not going to burn anything, roast the bolt or nut with a hit from a blow torch before you start undoing.

Try tapping your ring spanner or breaker bar with a hammer rather than just applying brute force twisting. And make sure you apply the force perfectly perpendicular, if you know what I mean.

Don't sweat it. YouTube will sort you out.

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Hey guys appreciate the help. Yes I don't know what I'm doing you make a good point. I was just giving it my best shot. Gotta start somewhere. I was planning on taking it to a mechanic for a brake and suspension check after. I'm not doing it for the money doing it to learn weyb legend as always

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Update. Sorry to those who were upset by my stupidity. Thanks to those who helped. I have managed to repair the situation without any significant new parts. I tried every single trick in the book. Screw extractor started to work before snapping sending my further down **** creek. Was about to give up and take steering knuckle off to go get it machined or replaced depending on cost. Thought I'd try a file and spanner. Filed flats. Spanner wouldn't grab them so used multi grips. Every profanity known to man, 2 litres of elbow grease, a sea container of patience later. All the bastereds are out. Thanks guys

H

harrop.senator

I dno if anyone was really upset. It is others safety but mainly yours. I think it was more so shock.

Honestly though you obviously have no feel to snap 3 bolts especially a caliper mount bolt. Buy a book for it and a torque wrench.

It'll save you some headaches later.