Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut nuts and bolts

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Getting free injectors professionally cleaned and flow tested would be ideal but if they aren’t in bad condition, a home clean using carb cleaner and a 9V battery may not be a bad alternative …

H

harrop.senator

I've just had a look man I must've thrown them out with the old coil packs when I cleaned up for the rent inspection. I can understand coil packs but I usually never turf injectors. Sorry man.

VZ1CAR59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
No stress. Thought that counts.

Skylarking, yep think I have seen you on some others threads talking about that. Looks like a great cheap method....

I was thinking seeing that for me it is a reasonably big job for my first time ill get them done with ultrasonic cleaner and flow test. Maybe you guys have some opinion on this. I have asked around and its about 100-150$ to get them done properly. I can see you can buy cheap low end cleaners around the 350$ mark. Plus shipping and some liquid or the bath I'm guessing close to 400$ would get you there. https://vevor.com.au/products/autoo...piMcFayonYO_fNeS79sO0OhUmW7a34wQaAiKWEALw_wcB

My two questions are;

Would this machine/my ability do a far worse job at cleaning them than professionally or would I just have to take some extra time doing them?

is it a complicated skill to learn?

What I'm thinking is that cleaning the fuel injectors 3 times myself would pay for the machine? Plus I could do family/friends and members of JC for a small fee?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Ha ha make a business. Good thinking.

Home clean method works good. I do it all the time. Bugger going down the shop.

Ours have got the filter. There is a thread somewhere on here that shows how to get it out with a screw. You just get a screw big enough to gently bite the top of the filter, and then you wiggle it oh so gently and out it comes. You gotta take care not to use too thin a screw and go too deep. Like they say, 'long and thin goes too far in, short and thick does the trick'.

I found filters are a dime a dozen from any boat shop. Another main use of these filters is in outboards.

I don't know what shipping is like in Australia now with COVID, but you can buy brand new injectors from AliExpress, number 0280156131, for US$50 a set.

I cleaned up the ones that were in my car when I bought it with home clean method. I gt a couple more sets after that from wrecks, looked pretty good, cleaned and tried them too.

Then I put new ones. Wow, that made the difference. Ran so crisp. That was a couple of years back, still charging now.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
My two questions are;

Would this machine/my ability do a far worse job at cleaning them than professionally or would I just have to take some extra time doing them?

is it a complicated skill to learn?
There isn’t much skill involved in using those injector cleaning machines but you do need some knowledge :p

I’d assume you just need some common sense knowledge around handling injector feed lines when pressured up and the fact that the cleaning fluid would be rather flammable. One must also know is the different types of injectors and how they are fired but I’d assume the tool would have directions on how to identify such and what are the best cleaning fluids to use…

Then there is the fact that to rejuvenate the injector, one should first check the coil resistance are all within spec before getting too far into the process. And one should include new o-rings and filter basket, probably before the full machine cleaning process.

Probably the most critical thing in cleaning injectors is checking their spray pattern and flow rate at different pressures and duty cycles. All injectors should be consistent with each other while any variances should be really small. And injectors shouldn’t dribble when there is fuel pressure in the rail and the i jet or is not being fired… There may be an element of skill in identifying whether the spray pattern is ok and close enough to the others not be be a concern… but meh, doubt pro’s are too fussed unless they sell new injectors and/or have to provide a guarantee.

Buying a cleaner/tester for less than $500 delivered, it isn’t much money really and some people pay considerably more for their garage fashion paraphernalia (old oil cans, signs, posters, etc) than what that tool costs (sure there are some members on JC that fit that bill).… Me, I’d rather have tools and next time I have any injectors issue I’ll probably buy such a machine as it would clean much better than the spray can + 9V method.…

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Getting free injectors professionally cleaned and flow tested would be ideal but if they aren’t in bad condition, a home clean using carb cleaner and a 9V battery may not be a bad alternative …

There’s a similar method shown here.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can clean them, but what about the electrical side of things? The injector doesn't just work on flow.

I would agree with wannaeatyourbrains, get new injectors.
If the inductance and resistance are within specs and variance is minimal between all injectors, then the electrical side is OK.

At that point, you can consider cleaning your injectors... and if the following is ok, you should be good to go ;)

Probably the most critical thing in cleaning injectors is checking their spray pattern and flow rate at different pressures and duty cycles. All injectors should be consistent with each other while any variances should be really small. And injectors shouldn’t dribble when there is fuel pressure in the rail and the i jet or is not being fired…

Just dont clean VF LS3 injectors without checking their resistance as a minimum as we all know about thee faulty injectors which cleaning where cleaning wont help them :eek:

After all it's not rocket science., though I'd leave direct injection injectors to the experts because of their rather high fuel pressure. But port injectors, yeah, I'd clean them myself :p For the cost of a can of carb cleaner and a 9V battery, always worth a try ;)

Last edited: