Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut/spring/shock combo for VS ute

chromic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 E2 R8 Maloo, 05 VZ CV8 Monaro, 96 VS V6 Ute
Hi,

What is a good spring/shock/strut setup for a daily runaround VS V6 ute? I don't want it to go lower than 30mm (sports low) from stock and don't want the ride too harsh. I had short pedders struts and low king springs and the ride was so stiff that I had to remove it. Will FE2 front struts from a VZ fit a VS?

gluten3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67
I had a VR V6 ute with Lovells low springs (1 inch lower) and Monroe FE2 struts, and 16 inch rims. Also had a rear sway bar 1 mm thicker (from a wagon or sedan I can't recall now). It handled better than the bog standard ute, but still a bit unpleasant over speed bumps. Well Monroe aren't the greatest, but I wasn't willing to keep throwing money at it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
FE2 will be fine but the VZ struts won't work because of the difference in swaybar link mountings. You're better off getting FE2 springs from something with an Ecotec as their spring rates should be slightly different to compensate for the different weight of the engines, ideally from a VR/VS tho.

At FE2 height you don't need to go for shortened shocks either. People seem to have okay results from KYB for not too much cash. Don't go second hand on shock absorbers either, they're pretty much a consumable.

chromic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 E2 R8 Maloo, 05 VZ CV8 Monaro, 96 VS V6 Ute
Thanks. The FE2 springs were from a vz. I struggled to find a set from a VR/VS. Good point about the 2nd hand shocks. I will check out eBay.