Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut Top and Bushes Spend $50 or $150?

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Yande, Apr 17, 2018 at 1:27 AM.

1. Yande

Yande New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim Wagon
    I replaced the back shocks on my VX Wagon and it made such a difference I decided to change the Front. Got a pretty good price on 2 Monroe GT Gas Struts & Shock Absorbers ($234) and am wondering if I can get away with something like these (Machter) for around $50

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heavy-T...500959?hash=item1eb7abaf5f:g:wS0AAOSw2o1ZlBjd

(Stated to fit)
    or am I advised to pay around $150 for Monroes or similar?

My car (VX Wagon) is just that, nothing special, so want to keep the costs down to a minimum without sacrificing too much.
    Thanks

2. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Do not buy Machter. Genuine machter LOL, WTF is that! Genuine bull ****!
    Go Mackay or genuine or Repco.

losh1971 likes this.
  3. Commo Baba

Commo Baba Member

Members Ride:
    VX II Acclaim Wagon.
    Other threads on this say to go for Monroe or genuine. I'll be trying that soon on my VX wagon.

4. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    Not that brand in particular but I've thrown lowest price + postages in a car I kept for a year and 25ks. They started to get small visual hairline cracks in rubber pretty quick it was soft but hadn't actually become any problem with excessive movement or Squeek. I did seperate bearing pack and greased it a lot.

You can replace these three times til pays for the name brand sets. If not keeping car forever or wanna gamble it you can always go for a set see how long they last, argue warranty if within the specified 12 months . Either possibly pay $200 and do it twice or get heaps longer then expected out of them and buy another $50 set lol.

5. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    Superpro polyelast strut tops for $150 on ebay. Never collapse like the rubber ones.

6. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I read a post about Genuine Matchter a while back. IIRC Genuine Matchter is like Genuine Fantastic Furniture. Sure it's genuine Machter as is genuine fantastic furniture, need I say more....... Or you could use the Hungry Jacks analogy, the Burgers are Better at Hungry Jacks...... But are they really , maybe compared Macca's..... I bought McKay tops a while back for the ute and have been very happy with them. I dare say they will see my old ute out. Monroe shocks will be fine on the VX, pretty sure that's what they out with from the factory. Go with Mackay tops as they really should be done if you're replacing shocks. Mackay's are decent and not expensive from Sparesbox.

7. franco

franco New Member

Members Ride:
    VN,VP,VX II,VFII
    2 Monroe GT Gas Struts & Shock Absorbers for $234 , that's a good price.
    I need to get some were did you get them from, Sparebox has them for 234 each side