Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut top mount how to check if failing

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
I had my 180,00km 2004 VZ Acclaim serviced a year ago, and on the list of things that need to be done was 'strut top mounts worn'. Now i'm getting around to doing stuff, and DIY. I don't feel/hear any issue with the front suspension, no banging or issues with steering that i notice. I looked under the bonnet and the top mounts look okay. But i did notice a gap. Could that be how to tell they are failing, or is that gap normal? How to check they are failing/about to fail without taking too much apart? I attached photos of the left and right. This car has original parts, no suspension stuff replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_8526.JPG
    IMG_8526.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_8525.JPG
    IMG_8525.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 423

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
gaps are completely normal.

get someone to turn your wheels full lock back and forth while you watch.

just get a second opinion if you are concerned, but if they are indeed strut top mounts with 180,000 on them yeah they are probably due - and just about every other suspension component.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
The amount of gap is normal when they have failed so yes they need changing

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Replace the struts while you're at it, they will be absolutely toast as well.
KYB EXCEL-G is one good option.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Without looking at them or your pics, at 180,000km and 16 years they will be cooked. You can probably keep using them if you don't see or feel issues, but if you take them out to check I guarantee that they will fall apart and the ball bearings inside will go everywhere.

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
Thanks. So that gap is not normal... should be no gap there? (means the mount has failed and that is not visible since it's under the wheel arch).
Monroe are the OEM, but KYB are a bit more expensive. Is KYB better than OEM (i saw on their website their tech seems bit better)? This car has standard (FE1) suspension. I notice KYB make only 1 front strut for FE1 and FE2, but Monroe have different part numbers for FE2 and FE1 so it probably means there are tuned for FE1 or FE2.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Should be virtually no gap. Should definitely not be able to see through the gap to the other side.
Yes I say KYB are better. There are other brands too but the price goes up if you want really good ones.

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
Cool....good to know and it's really easy check to see if failed! (hard to know about what looks normal as i don't have a spare commodore to compare to, hence why this forum is so useful).
I guess the cheapest is own brand (repco, etc), then Monroe, then KYB, then fancy stuff.... This is standard commodore i don't mind paying little bit more for better, so i might go with KYB seems the popular one here. I'm in the suburbs of Melbourne, on road.... so not going off onto dirt track.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... hard to know about what looks normal as i don't have a spare commodore to compare to, hence why this forum is so useful...
Sure you do, just pretend you’re buying and go to a used car lot that has VZ (or even later as I think even the VF strut top bush is the same?) and you’ll be able to pop the bonnet and have look at a few ;)

Obviously you can’t take to it with a spanner unless the dealer allows you go for a long drive on your own :eek: though it’s not a good idea to do so :oops: