Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut top nut.Where to buy.?

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Stuffed a strut top nut getting it off.Can’t seem to get hold of one anywhere.Anyone else had this problem?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wrecker will have thousands of them....So there's a good point of call

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Stuffed a strut top nut getting it off.Can’t seem to get hold of one anywhere.Anyone else had this problem?

Just go to a suspension shop they will have hundreds spare as all new shocks come with them. I'm just a service mechanic and I even have a few in my tool box.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Wrecker will have thousands of them....So there's a good point of call
Tried the wreckers,they won’t seperate them from the struts,so I gotta buy the whole strut.I can get a locking nut that’s thicker,just have to get it machined down.Seems like a lot of mucking around for a simple nut.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Tried the wreckers,they won’t seperate them from the struts,so I gotta buy the whole strut.I can get a locking nut that’s thicker,just have to get it machined down.Seems like a lot of mucking around for a simple nut.

Just use the locking nut it won't make a difference. It's like 1mm thicker.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Just go to a suspension shop they will have hundreds spare as all new shocks come with them. I'm just a service mechanic and I even have a few in my tool box.
Tried the suspension shop and they reckon they can’t get them,tried the wreckers,they won’t seperate them from the strut.Tried the nut and bolt shop,but I could only get ones twice the thickness so I will have to get it machined down as they have a locki thread at the top which will not lock onto thread at current thickness.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Tried the suspension shop and they reckon they can’t get them,tried the wreckers,they won’t seperate them from the strut.Tried the nut and bolt shop,but I could only get ones twice the thickness so I will have to get it machined down as they have a locki thread at the top which will not lock onto thread at current thickness.

Where are you? I'm in ACT and have a few. If you're close by you could swing past my work and grab one.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You should be able to take the top nuts and use them on the strut then use full sized nuts on the top.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Just use the locking nut it won't make a difference. It's like 1mm thicker.
The original nuts have some sort of taper to the inside thread.i Bought the thinnest ones I could get ,whitch were twice the thickness,so the locking part of the thread won’t work unless theyre machined down.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Where are you? I'm in ACT and have a few. If you're close by you could swing past my work and grab one.
Be a bit of a drive from where I am in Launceston.Thanks all the same mate!