Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut tops

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I am currently in the process of renewing the front suspension in my wagon, It has lowered Kings springs but the rest is standard with flogged out lower ball joints, shocks and sway bar links, So its all getting overhauled.

The only thing that I'm stuck on is which strut tops to purchase, I figured they are probably the originals and I will replace them while I'm at it. I have been getting some increased inner tyre wear from the extra negative camber resulted from lowering, So im leaning towards adjustable strut tops, what are peoples recommendations of these - Brands/prices etc.. I have heard the urethane ones tend to wear out quicker and it is best to leave them rubber, but to my knowledge adjustable ones are not available in rubber?

I am on a budget of around $150 so keep that in mind. Pedders wanted $80 each for standards!, surely I can source them cheaper than that?

Cheers

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
I know it's out of your price range, but for anyone else that may be interested, we can now supply the once-defunct Noltec tops, $395 shipped for the pair. Available in two options, either a urethane bell type, which helps absorb some of the vibration, or a full spherical type like this:
http://dairally.net/shop/pics/noltec/N44005S.jpg

Both types are full adjustable.

Price up genuine, cause often on tops I've seen quite good pricing, but on just standard rubber replacements aftermarket you're looking at $44 each without bearing, or $65 each with bearing...

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Also, Whiteline do adjustable strut tops, $249 for the pair. No piccy unfortunately...

FusionX

Reaction score
Those Noltec strut tops are now made by Wilkinson Suspension... only difference is red plates instead of blue.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Just remember the stut tops changed somewhere along the line in the VN/P range, get the wrong ones and you will gain a bit of ride height :) so give your vin number when you order

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Those Noltec strut tops are now made by Wilkinson Suspension... only difference is red plates instead of blue.

I have heard Nolathane, Noltec and Whiteline are all owned by Red Ranger.

Redranger

Just remember the stut tops changed somewhere along the line in the VN/P range, get the wrong ones and you will gain a bit of ride height :) so give your vin number when you order

That info will come in handy, had no idea they would be different. A little increased height would not be bad..its a pain having to drive the car onto blocks before the jack can fit underneath!

So whats do people recommend, standard rubber or urethane? It it worth getting adjustables?

FusionX

Reaction score
I have heard Nolathane, Noltec and Whiteline are all owned by Red Ranger.

So whats do people recommend, standard rubber or urethane? It it worth getting adjustables?

Noltec was a seperate company. The guy sold up (different patents went to different companies, strut tops to Wilkinson, adjustable radius rods to Whiteline).

Adjustables are good if you are ever going to do track days or moto-khana events. In the way of rubber vs urethane, I run neither. I'm running with Noltec/Wilkinson solids. Does produce a harsher ride, but removes the issues of worrying about that bush, just a solid bit of steel.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Noltec was a seperate company. The guy sold up (different patents went to different companies, strut tops to Wilkinson, adjustable radius rods to Whiteline).

Adjustables are good if you are ever going to do track days or moto-khana events. In the way of rubber vs urethane, I run neither. I'm running with Noltec/Wilkinson solids. Does produce a harsher ride, but removes the issues of worrying about that bush, just a solid bit of steel.

Most likely never going to be doing track days or moto-khana, although i do like to do a spirited drive through the hills:p

Im leaning toward standard rubber items now, theyre cheap and should last longer than the urethane ones, with no increased ride harshness (Its pretty rough already with flogged shocks). Im hoping they will raise it a bit too.

Only downside is they wont be adjustable, but i think i can live with the minimal increase on tyre wear. They seem to be wearing OK with a good alignment.

Cheers.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Correct. It's just easier to say 'Noltec style strut tops' because everyone knows what you're talking about. yep, they most certainly are now made by Wilkinson, and after having several sets pass through here they're certainly as good (if not better) than the Notec ones. Also the price has come down significantly, and no longer come in fancy expensive packaging...