Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JacobEdwards

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Im working on my bushings for the lower control arm and ive come across a nut on top of the ball joint which is stuck. Because the nut is screwed onto a bolt inside the ball joint it spins every time i try to loosen it. Has anyone come across this problem and has a solution?
thanks

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Maybe try soak it with WD-40 and try with a rattle gun

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have came across this on another make of car (not a Commodore), the solution was to put a load on the ball joint, ie pop a jack under the arm with just enough pressure to load the ball joint and it stopped the bolt part spinning in the joint, the nut then came undone with out any problems.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
I have came across this on another make of car (not a Commodore), the solution was to put a load on the ball joint, ie pop a jack under the arm with just enough pressure to load the ball joint and it stopped the bolt part spinning in the joint, the nut then came undone with out any problems.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As suggested, jack the control arm up, so the balljoint is seated back in place, or if you can get multi grips around the shaft of the balljoint, grab it there......you will need to replace the balljoint after doing this, but replacing a balljoint is cheap insurance

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Dremel with a cutting disc worked for me. Just be sure you have replacement nuts.