Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuff-ups with new models

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
From a read of the many threads dealing with common faults with Commodores, I wonder how it is that some regular faults for specific models ever arise when the previous model didn't suffer the same problems.

For example, the VY didn't have fuel guage problems, the VZ did.
The VY didn't have BCM problems, the VZ did.
The VX didn't have persistent door lock actuator problems, the early VY's did.

(If I have some of these facts wrong, then correct me by all means.)

There are probably others that I can't think of, but what do the engineers do when developing new models, that requires them to change parts that seem to work perfectly for parts that don't.

And why, for example, did they change the fuel senders so that you can't just swap Level 3 instrument clusters between Series 1 and 2 VY's and VZ's without reprogramming or considerable additional expense?

There has to be a sound reason for all this change, but when changing perfectly good parts creates persistent faults within the next model, the obvious question is..Why fix what ain't broken?

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
vy did and does have fuel gague problems

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
why change from vr-vs ? why change from vy-vz hell why not keep cars the same for 1000 years because the previous model had no problems ?

**** happens

if car company's didnt upgrade there stuff we would all be running around in model t fords with no power horrible emissions
and bad fuel compsumption

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i dont know of any vz that had bcm problems.....

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I think the VZ had some issues with the early models and service reminders, I only bought mine last year, but it still has the stickers on from 2 or 3 "field product campaigns" (ie. "we ****ed something up, and we want to fix it without calling it a recall")

To answer your question Calaber, my guess would be that they use different components because on paper they do the same job, but are cheaper/lighter/available it the necessary quantities, shared among other models (making them cheaper) etc.

I know a great deal of components are shared throughout the whole VT-VZ series, and even some before, so its not to say they don't re-use components. Even within a single model, depending on the build date the various parts of the car will be manufactured in totally different countries. Obviously they are supposed to be built to the same specifications, regardless of which factory it's from, but it's inevitable that some batches will have issues, and maybe that's what contributes to the issues you're talking about?

There probably cases which are less obvious too, like maybe the emissions standard changed between the VX and VY, and they had to use a more powerful PCM to give it a better tune, and that was incompatible with the BCM or some other component.

Whatever the reasons, I'm certain they don't do it just for kicks, because at the end of the day each change add time, money and complexity to the process.

PS. Has there EVER been a Commodore model without fuel gauge problems? ;)

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
everything is driven by the mighty dollar, if a part has been changed it will be cost related

VY & VZ BCM both have issues
VT & VX did have doorlock issues
all commodore from VT have fuel guage issues

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
This has been happening for years . The 1972 HQ Statesman had fuel gauge problems.
It was nearly impossible to tell how much fuel you had in the tank . If you planted the foot the gauge would go to empty and if you hit the brakes it went to full ,and if you went over a rough road the needle would be all over the place.
The EH Holden had weak rims and if you pushed them too hard around corners the welds would crack and the centres would pop out.
The early modle Fords ,up to the XC used to wear out the front radius rod bushes and they all developed an annoying squeak in the front end.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
why change from vr-vs ? why change from vy-vz hell why not keep cars the same for 1000 years because the previous model had no problems ?

**** happens

if car company's didnt upgrade there stuff we would all be running around in model t fords with no power horrible emissions
and bad fuel compsumption

Next time you post, try to answer the question. Otherwise, go back to kindergarten - I think I hear your teacher calling.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can recall plenty of the problems relating to really old models. The HQ fuel guage problem arose because of the design of the tank, which was really broad and flat and unbaffled. Once the fuel level dropped a bit, the fuel sloshed all over the place and the readings went haywire.

Early Holden wheel rims were adequate for the power they were designed for, but the EH upped the ante and the existing wheels were suddenly inadequate.

I appreciate the dollar has something to do with the changes, but given the frequency of some failings, such as BCM's and door locks, why aren't they changed to improve their durability, given that repeated failures can occur during warranty with the attendant cost to the manufacturer?

As for the VY failings, I'm going to find a piece of solid timber to knock, because so far, I haven't experienced any of them.