Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuffed engine

toffbrown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SV6 Commodore 3.6L
Hey guys again,

So before I had the chance to inspect why I was getting the low oil prompts was because the oil pump basically broke therefore caused a loss of oil to be delivered to the engine which caused me to break an engine bearing. If not more damage

I've been quoted $4400 which will be a whole engine swap. Would I be looking at more money for an engine rebuild?

Is it worth forking out the money and repairing it or selling it as is with the engine?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Woah, VF2 ... it may be out of warranty, but it can’t be far out of warranty?
Have you contacted Holden?
My Subaru was out of warranty by the most yours can be, when they replaced heads & pistons which would’ve cost me near as much as the $4400 you’ve been quoted (and that was nearly 25 years ago).

If you do have to pay for it, I doubt a busted one would be only ~$4k less than a good one.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you’ve been keeping up with the service schedule and even if it’s out of the factory warranty*, I’d still be having a discussion with a dealer and asking why an engine that should last for 100’s of thousands of kilometres sh!t itself and how they and Holden could consider such an engine of acceptable quality when this happens. The implication being that you don’t consider it acceptable quality and as such it should be covered by Holden, either under statutory or manufacturer’s good will, they can pick.

Obviously if you haven’t maintained the car according to Holdens schedule, or you have ignored warning lamps and continued to drive, it’s then your problem and you should pay. After all you can’t expect to continue driving with warning lamps flashing and warning buzzers sounding.

However if you’ve done everything you should as required by Holden, then the engine should survive for 100’s of thousands of kilometres and they can’t claim that professional 3rd party servicing voids your warranty. In such a case, Holden should ultimately pick up the bill.

* as Holden themselves provided factory warranty ranging from 3, 5 or 7 years depending on when you bought the vehicle, my view is that it is difficult for them to rationalise fixing and 4 year old engine for one person but not for another because they bought their car three months earlier or later than the other guy when in both cases an engine should last a very long time & kms.

(Edited to add text in italics)

Last edited:

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Google Australian Consumer Guarantees.
It would be reasonable for anyone to expect that the motor on a 4 year old car would not self destruct, if maintained as per the manufacturers advice.
If you've done everything Skylarking has said about looking after it, Holden can be made to come to the party. it will take some effort though.
The question is how long was it before the Low Oil prompt and it going bang?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
According to his other thread, he's been doing some of the services himself. Easy out for Holden to take zero responsibility warranty or goodwill wise.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hey guys again,

So before I had the chance to inspect why I was getting the low oil prompts was because the oil pump basically broke therefore caused a loss of oil to be delivered to the engine which caused me to break an engine bearing. If not more damage

I've been quoted $4400 which will be a whole engine swap. Would I be looking at more money for an engine rebuild?

Is it worth forking out the money and repairing it or selling it as is with the engine?

What car..year...engine ?

toffbrown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SV6 Commodore 3.6L
Yeah I've done the most recent service's myself as I had an issue with the ECU shutting down from a drained battery and was told Holden will no longer cover my car as it's out of warranty so I gave up on getting it serviced for minor services. I'm not saying I'm a professional but I have completed many services on many different vehicles and have had no issues. I guess its just my luck. Also had the error light come up adding oil but there was more than enough oil as I checked the dipstick and drained it all and refilled with fresh oil

It's a series 2 VF SV6 and I bought it second hand which I've been told by Holden they won't cover

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..

You'll lose value by selling as is. It's a VF2, it's absolutely worth repairing. $4400 seems very reasonable.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..