Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuffed engine

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by toffbrown98, Apr 15, 2019.

1. toffbrown98

toffbrown98 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SV6 Commodore 3.6L
    Hey guys again,

So before I had the chance to inspect why I was getting the low oil prompts was because the oil pump basically broke therefore caused a loss of oil to be delivered to the engine which caused me to break an engine bearing. If not more damage

I've been quoted $4400 which will be a whole engine swap. Would I be looking at more money for an engine rebuild?

Is it worth forking out the money and repairing it or selling it as is with the engine?

2. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Woah, VF2 ... it may be out of warranty, but it can’t be far out of warranty?
    Have you contacted Holden?
    My Subaru was out of warranty by the most yours can be, when they replaced heads & pistons which would’ve cost me near as much as the $4400 you’ve been quoted (and that was nearly 25 years ago).

If you do have to pay for it, I doubt a busted one would be only ~$4k less than a good one.

3. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    If you’ve been keeping up with the service schedule and even if it’s out of the factory warranty*, I’d still be having a discussion with a dealer and asking why an engine that should last for 100’s of thousands of kilometres sh!t itself and how they and Holden could consider such an engine of acceptable quality when this happens. The implication being that you don’t consider it acceptable quality and as such it should be covered by Holden, either under statutory or manufacturer’s good will, they can pick.

Obviously if you haven’t maintained the car according to Holdens schedule, or you have ignored warning lamps and continued to drive, it’s then your problem and you should pay. After all you can’t expect to continue driving with warning lamps flashing and warning buzzers sounding.

However if you’ve done everything you should as required by Holden, then the engine should survive for 100’s of thousands of kilometres and they can’t claim that professional 3rd party servicing voids your warranty. In such a case, Holden should ultimately pick up the bill.

* as Holden themselves provided factory warranty ranging from 3, 5 or 7 years depending on when you bought the vehicle, my view is that it is difficult for them to rationalise fixing and 4 year old engine for one person but not for another because they bought their car three months earlier or later than the other guy when in both cases an engine should last a very long time & kms.

(Edited to add text in italics)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    BlaserF3 likes this.
  4. RossK

RossK New Member

Members Ride:
    VE11 SV6
    Google Australian Consumer Guarantees.
    It would be reasonable for anyone to expect that the motor on a 4 year old car would not self destruct, if maintained as per the manufacturers advice.
    If you've done everything Skylarking has said about looking after it, Holden can be made to come to the party. it will take some effort though.
    The question is how long was it before the Low Oil prompt and it going bang?

5. Pablito

Pablito Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline
    According to his other thread, he's been doing some of the services himself. Easy out for Holden to take zero responsibility warranty or goodwill wise.

6. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    What car..year...engine ?

7. toffbrown98

toffbrown98 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SV6 Commodore 3.6L
    Yeah I've done the most recent service's myself as I had an issue with the ECU shutting down from a drained battery and was told Holden will no longer cover my car as it's out of warranty so I gave up on getting it serviced for minor services. I'm not saying I'm a professional but I have completed many services on many different vehicles and have had no issues. I guess its just my luck. Also had the error light come up adding oil but there was more than enough oil as I checked the dipstick and drained it all and refilled with fresh oil

It's a series 2 VF SV6 and I bought it second hand which I've been told by Holden they won't cover

8. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), 97 VS, 17 Carnival Platinum
    You'll lose value by selling as is. It's a VF2, it's absolutely worth repairing. $4400 seems very reasonable.

55ams likes this.
  9. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 OOT
  10. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    55ams, Pablito and Ron Burgundy like this.
  11. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Still got to go see the original dealer that sold the vehicle and see if they will come to some sort of arrangement. At worst he will get shown the door at best they will pay for and a fit replacement engine or might meet him somewhere in the middle. I'd be slipping on a gen oil filter if not already used and saying if asked yeah home servicing using gen parts. If a mech workshop doesn't use gen parts the warranty is void regardless.

55ams likes this.
  12. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Yeah, definitely worth a shot

the likely outcome unfortunately. All warranties specifically state that the repairs must be carried out by a licensed mechanic

Not quite true. They don't have to use genuine parts, just parts of an acceptable quality. Obviously using genuine parts will give more weight to a warranty claim, but they aren't strictly required.

55ams and stooge like this.
  13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Interesting the wife's car is still under new car warranty and we were told by the mech workshop he has to use gen parts to maintain the new car warranty. Could the rules vary from state to state?

55ams likes this.
  14. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    This is from the choice website:

WHAT'S THE LAW?

But you don't have to pay the price premium on parts to be covered. The ACCC's guidance says that provided you use quality parts, your car manufacturer's warranty won't be voided. If a non-genuine part is used it won't be covered under the manufacturer's warranty, but it would be covered under the warranty of the part's supplier and/or Australian Consumer Law. To be fair, despite the initial response of dealers, when pushed many did clarify that it'd only be the actual part that wouldn't be covered rather than the whole warranty being voided.

So while it's a little ambigious, it seems that the manufacturers warranty remains intact with non-genuine parts. Although in saying that, the first thing they'd say is that whatever failure you present with is related directly or indirectly to the non-genuine part. So it would probably be better to go OEM for peace of mind if using non-dealer servicing, even if you legally don't HAVE to.

15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Interesting, that does clarify it. but in reality the cost of parts with the exception of plugs on new car servicing don't make a huge difference to the bill as apposed to using aftermarket, so why risk it.

16. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Totally agree.

17. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    Don't waste your time. Car is out of warranty and not serviced by authorised repairer. No chance in hell they will cover it...

55ams and tml678 like this.
  18. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Really? You wouldn't even try? Aim at nothing hit it ever time.... ;);)

55ams likes this.
  19. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 OOT
    not without some fraudulent service papers.

It is BS though that a new car can't have minor services done on it by an owner.

55ams likes this.
  20. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    I would not. There were signs something was not right. The op chose to investigate himself...missed the real issue and the engine blew up. What argument would you have to ask holden to cop the bill...

markalan1two likes this.