Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuffed Trans..? need help desperately!

Nilz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Commodore
Hi all,
I recently bought a 2004 vz commodore and for the first 4 days it was fine.
On the 5th day i had to do a 3 point turn and the trans started "clunking" and the dash board gear display popped up and was changing from Reverse (which i was in) to Park and back again constantly??
I managed to limp it home and after about 5 mins dashboard displayed "safety mode"..

I let it sit i my driveway untill i could get a mate to have a look, by the time he came to have a look... it wasnt doing it anymore and in fact it was driving like a dream!

It continued to drive fine for 4 days, after that.. car wouldnt start.. it would crank (like the starter motor was trying to start the engine) but car wouldnt start...
I then changed the start relay fuse as i noticed it was in bad shape and that fixed the issue straight away.
Again i drove for around 2 days and now im getting this mystery trans problem again.. can someone please help??
I lost my job due to a knee injury and spent the last but of $ i had to my name on this vz...

I also have a 15 month old son and another on the way (mrs' is 3 months pregnant).
The timing couldn't be worse for us as a family.
Without a running car my job prospects are stuff all, and to boot im flat broke after using what savings i did have to buy this VZ.

Cant help but think ive been sold a lemon which is really dissapointing as i explained to the previous owners that i was simply after a commodore that i could rely on for at least the next 6 months..
If any one has any ideas or could help us out i would be so incredibly greatful!

I know stuff all about cars but im pretty handy with guitars so if i can help you out with that in return or anything else i will!.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
That's terrible bloke.

It sounds like it will have logged error codes for sure.

If you search the main forum for "vz error codes" and read a bit, then you will find out how to read the car computer. Each error code points to a particular issue. It's really easy and often points to the exact part.

This will save you heaps of money over time, so relax, we'll all help with what to do to fix it as soon as you can get the error codes from your car.

You're in the right place to get all the info to keep your car running perfect.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Check the oil level first.
To do this, get the engine up to heat on level ground.
Put the car through all gears, then, with the engine still running, remove the auto dip stick, wipe it with a clean rag, insert it and remove it quickly to see the oil level.
Or, turn engine off and check auto oil as quickly as possible after turning off engine.
Like in seconds not minutes.
Top up if necessary.

Nilz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Commodore
That's terrible bloke.

It sounds like it will have logged error codes for sure.

If you search the main forum for "vz error codes" and read a bit, then you will find out how to read the car computer. Each error code points to a particular issue. It's really easy and often points to the exact part.

This will save you heaps of money over time, so relax, we'll all help with what to do to fix it as soon as you can get the error codes from your car.

You're in the right place to get all the info to keep your car running perfect.
Thanks mate.. ill get onto that asap!

Nilz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Commodore
Check the oil level first.
To do this, get the engine up to heat on level ground.
Put the car through all gears, then, with the engine still running, remove the auto dip stick, wipe it with a clean rag, insert it and remove it quickly to see the oil level.
Or, turn engine off and check auto oil as quickly as possible after turning off engine.
Like in seconds not minutes.
Top up if necessary.
Cheers mate, will do as you say first thing tomorrow.. pretty sure i checked the trans oil level but im bloody clueless when it comes to these things so ill def take your advice and see what the level is like.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Sorry.. been flat out with sick kids and mrs'.
Im in Felixstow,Adelaide

Happy to drop by and hook up a tech 2 for nothing and hopefully let you know what's going on, given your circumstances. Would have to be a Wednesday or Thursday though. PM me your details if you think it will help.

Nilz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Commodore
Just wanted to thank 99notout..
Thankyou so much for taking the time to come and hook up your Tech2 and help me out.
Thankyou for explaining what the probable issue is and for helping a total stranger out.

Wish i could repay you somehow.
Thanks again mate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What was the issue in the end?