Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stumped???

mrssz

05' VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
hey guys, just completed a stereo install in my vz ssz and all is sounding great except the loud alternator noise, now i understand that others may have asked similar questions regarding this situation but i have had soo many opinions regarding this matter i am just not sure who to go with to fix the problem... all the gear is brand new, pioneer head unit, jbl front splits, alpine type s rear speakers, jbl 4 channel amp, jbl mono block amp and a kicker comp sub. This is what i have done-
-run speaker and rca's separate to power cables.
-ground metal back for a good earth under seat belt bracket
-used 2 stinger noise filter's on each of the rca's on the 4 channel amp.

so far many people have told me the following,- amp's faulty?
-the rca earth's on pioneer head unit's are weak and they may have failed? ( I have been buying pioneer head unit's for over 10 years now and never had a problem with this before)
- also that some commodore's u just cant get rid of the noise?

thanks for any info that you can give me guys....

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Pioneer head units have an internal fuse on the RCA track, this blows quite easily if people don't disconnect power when connecting RCAs. That'd be the first thing to check.

Get rid of the noise filters.

bluvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn and vx
there use to be noise supressers on the back of the alternator to stop that noise, not sure if there is these days or if its built in to the stereo.
I cant see why you couldnt fit one if there isnt one there, especially if you have fitted an aftermarket stereo that might not have an inbuilt supressor.

mrssz

05' VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
ok, that sounds logical enough. but when you mean internal fuse, do you mean inside the cd player? is it the one in the back of it. it's just going to be hard to take it out thats all...but ill suss it out cheers! and the noise filters no good hey?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Internal means inside. It's soldered onto the circuit board. The easy way to test if it's this while it's in the car is to slide the head unit out so you can reach the RCA leads/sockets at the rear of the unit. then touch a bit of wire from the chassis/shell of the head unit to the outer ring of the RCA socket (while it's plugged in) and then play the stereo... If the sound is gone, it's the ground. You're basically grounding the RCA yourself, bypassing the blown fuse.

If you can't get the head unit out easily, you can try doing the same thing at the amplifier end... Touch a wire from the ground terminal to the RCA socket outer ring. It SHOULD work the same from the other end of the RCA.

If everything is installed properly and not faulty, you shouldn't ever need a noise filter.