Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stupid brake rotors!

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Just brought some new front rotors for my vy ss ute and I got one side done easy as but when I got to the other side the bloody rotor won't come off the hub!

Any ideas? I've hit it a thousand times with a mallet and a hammer and it hasn't moved at all. Have also sprayed about half a can of CRC 5-56 on it but still with no luck. Used the search function but couldn't find anything.

Cheers

Justin

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Im not 100% sure on VY rotors, but a firm hit, spinning it abit each time should get it.

Otherwise they have two holes normally where you can screw bolts into, to pull them off. Not sure if VY's have that though, but it works similar to a steering wheel puller.

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Im not 100% sure on VY rotors, but a firm hit, spinning it abit each time should get it.

Otherwise they have two holes normally where you can screw bolts into, to pull them off. Not sure if VY's have that though, but it works similar to a steering wheel puller.

Yeah I spent hours last night and this morning hitting it with a mallet and a hammer. And the standard VY rotors don't have those holes, the aftermarket rotors I brought do tho:bang:

From what I can find on google people cut them off or heat them up but I don't have the tools to do either of those things.

drippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack & VP ute
i had the same problem when doing my rotors, i ended up getting a sledge hammer and giving them a tap.
it worked after about 5 or so hits but damn was it a pain as it started getting dark :p

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
just keep banging mate, its pretty much all you can do.

The rear rotors have the two holes but the fronts dont.

I changed mine couple of days ago without a problem. There might be locktite between the hub and disk knowing holden lol.
Or their rusted on.

Have you completely removed the calliper from the disk?

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Bit the bullet and managed to find the only mechanic shop thats open on anzac day.

He turned the wheel hard right(was the drivers side rotor that was stuck) and hit it once with a ball-pen hammer and it almost came all the way off:yeah:

Must of had the magic touch or maybe turning the wheel made all the difference. He only charged me $30 and he fitted the new rotor as well.

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Nah he didn't clean it at all. It was rust that was sticking it.

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
Hiya Juzdvs.

This may be handy for others with the problem in the future.

I had the same problem but was scared I'd damage the hub if I belted it with a hammer so used a cheap gear puller instead. Took the load off the hub with a metal drift.

Came off with some cursing.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Seeing you now have new discs fitted, it would be worth taking them off before they get a chance to seize on with corrosion like the old ones, clean the hub thoroughly with wet and dry, till the metal is clean, then smear a very thin coating of high temp grease around the hub where the disc seats.

This is an extremely common problem with Commodores and is caused by corrosion build up between the disc and hub, but can be addressed very simply whenever you remove the discs. Cleaning off the crud also ensures the new disc sits correctly against the hub.