Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stupid exhaust bandage

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Hey peoples for the umptyth time this year my exhaust bandage has blown out. I have the exhaust badaged at the join of the two pipes that come down from the engine into the "Y" piece b4 the cat.

One pipe like slides onto the other one and has two slices 180 degrees appart and like say 4-5cm down the pipe. when the two are together i cant get the inner tube to slide far enough into the sliced one to seal. So i am left with two like 2-3mm holes at the end of the slices. The badage stuff that ive brought just seams to pussy to take it and is a pain to put on as it has the stickyness of a piece of wet cloth b4 it cures (with the heat of the exhuast which is dumb cause you dont want to have air trying to force out of the piss poor sticky stuff while its supposed to be curing). So your supposed to tie it up with this wire they give you... bah i hate it ... I HATE IT :ranting: lol

So what i was wondering can i go like bush mechanic on it and get a tin can from like spaghetti tin (not like from VB / NEW as I expect this is what you thought if first when i said tin can... lol) and get a strip to cover the hole would it take the heat???

I was thinking of smeering it up with exhaust cement and then use the two clamps i have on the exhaust at the moment and crush the fcker on there good and proper..... chances of success???

I know it could probably be welded up but i am a bit apprehensive about doing that incase it made getting the exhasut off a pain in the arse and i would have to pull it out to get a weld right around aswell...

Its just that i have exhaust cement and tin cans, and with my welding skills id end up with more holes or bigger holes than i started with, so this would be my last attempt to have some sort of semi-permanent fix.

Anyone shoot it down b4 i start and go and get all itchy crawlin around on the lawn??

Cheers Apoc.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
weld it
if you dont have a welder take it in and get it welded
sooo much eayser than fkn round under the car with that bandage sheit

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
sorta on the topic but why do my gaskets on my extractors keep blowing......ive tried the paper ones and the metal ones....the exhaust shop is baffled......i dont drive it like a ferrari either

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
why not just take it to an exhaust shop and get it fixed properly & be done with it