Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stupid newbie questions

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
I have some questions as I have had the VZ SV6 for a few days now - so share your knowledge please guys!

1. On a mate's VY and my VZ I have noticed the handbrake, if pulled while moving (slowly!) really grabs suddenly, almost like it is hydraulically assisted or something. Anyone know why? This is more for my interest than anything...

2. I have been reading about airbox mods and it seems the 2 hole mod is the one I want to do - comments? Most of the stuff I have read seems to be from V8 owners... the standard intake doesn't look tooooo bad - nice big pipe going to the radiator shroud, so should i leave that and add a second hole or remove it and haave the full 2 hole mod?

3. There's these frickin spots on the wing mirrors, look like water spots or similar and they don't want to come off! is this some sort of know issue with the glass used in the mirrors or something? Or do i just need to try harder.....

4. The gear knob (manual) rotates clockwise and anticlockwise a few mm...not a huge amount but enough that I want o fix it if possible - is this just normal play in the system? I'm pretty sure it is, as it just doesn't feel like the knob is rotating on the thread, more like the linkage that goes down thru the floor is rotating...and it's not a big deal, I just don't have any other SV6 to compare it to!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Don't pull the handbrake on while the vehicle is moving unless in an emergency situation.

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Don't pull the handbrake on while the vehicle is moving unless in an emergency situation.

of course - i noticed this effect though when pulling it on while rolling at a fraction of a km/h while parking in the garage. I'm interested in the mechanism....like if there was some sort of cam type mechanism that engages really suddenly or something. A few other sources suggest it is something to do with independant rear suspension, I don't know how or why.

My Q number 1 is just for my curiosity, the others are "real" questions!

Last edited:

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Q 1. All commodores VT upward do it. Its something to do with the twin piston calipers and just grips well.

Q 2. Its entirely up to you. Performance wise theres not much difference between two holes and one. However I would leave the intake pipe from over the radiator on it so the cold air comes from that pipe.

Q 3. Sounds like you need to replace the mirror glass. Its not expensive to replace if you do it yourself.

Q 4. try rotating it clockwise and see if it tightens, If not then the thread in the knob is stuffed. Replace the knob.

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Q 1. All commodores VT upward do it. Its something to do with the twin piston calipers and just grips well.

Q 2. Its entirely up to you. Performance wise theres not much difference between two holes and one. However I would leave the intake pipe from over the radiator on it so the cold air comes from that pipe.

Q 3. Sounds like you need to replace the mirror glass. Its not expensive to replace if you do it yourself.

Q 4. try rotating it clockwise and see if it tightens, If not then the thread in the knob is stuffed. Replace the knob.

Cheers dude....re question 1, I was just researching more online and I think you've got it in one.

I will enquire about mirrors and gear knob from Holden parts as I also need a driver's side lower rubber door seal so might as well have a fun weekend tidying these things up!

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator

Got nothing to do with twin piston calipers, as the handbrake works the rear brakes, and it doesn't even work the rear brake pads, they have a drum inside the rear rotor and it uses shoes, has done since VL im pretty sure my VP VR and VX all do that same sudden shud when handbrake is pulled while moving, its the shoes grabbing onto the drum inside the rotor, as said above don't pull handbrake while moving, unless in an emergency. Also does it on live axle and IRS cars.

as for your mirror try a bit of polish on it, my new windscreen had that same effect on it and I took it back only to have the guy pull out some polish and get rid of it.

also if you say the gear stick is moving not the knob then you have a worn plastic cup thingy, sits on the bottom of the ball on the gear lever, Im sorry I don't have the actual terms of this item but normally it would just be the knob moving on the stick which in that case buy new knob.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I have some questions as I have had the VZ SV6 for a few days now - so share your knowledge please guys!

3. There's these frickin spots on the wing mirrors, look like water spots or similar and they don't want to come off! is this some sort of know issue with the glass used in the mirrors or something? Or do i just need to try harder..

!!!!!! You must be a rich man, replacing things instead of cleaning them lol
Allun, try meguiars glass cleaner, will get it off quite easily. Those are just sediments in the water staying behind after it dries up.

4. The gear knob (manual) rotates clockwise and anticlockwise a few mm...not a huge amount but enough that I want o fix it if possible - is this just normal play in the system? I'm pretty sure it is, as it just doesn't feel like the knob is rotating on the thread, more like the linkage that goes down thru the floor is rotating...and it's not a big deal, I just don't have any other SV6 to compare it to!

There may be a little movement in it. Pop it off and put some loctite in there.

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
!!!!!! You must be a rich man, replacing things instead of cleaning them lol
Allun, try meguiars glass cleaner, will get it off quite easily. Those are just sediments in the water staying behind after it dries up.

There may be a little movement in it. Pop it off and put some loctite in there.

Righto - on the mirrors thing it really does look like water spots but I've tried a couple of glass cleaners and had no success, I suppose it might be grime that has built up for years and just needs some elbow grease so will give it a real good go this weekend. I might try some of the vinegar solutions that are on the net for removing scale from hard water from coffee jugs and so on, as that's what it looks like!

eroled

VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
With the gear knob pull on it straight up, the silicone glue may have let go.If it has clean off old glue and reaply,it is not on a thread. if its the same as vy ss gear knobs correct me if im wrong.
be aware the gear knob material will come with it so disassemble that first so ya dont fork it pullin it up

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
I really shouldn't be this interested in water spots....can't be healthy.

ah well:

Cleaning Spotted Glass
Some parts of the country are burdened with extremely hard water. Hard water is water that contains excessive trace elements including calcium, iron, lime, and other minerals found in streams and rivers. These trace elements remain on your glass when water from sprinklers or washing air dries. These hard water spots attach themselves to glass like white on rice. If left on your glass for very long, hard water spots will not wash off with shampooing or regular glass cleaners.

In my experience, there are only two ways to remove hard water spots. The first is to use distilled white vinegar. If your water spots are mild, you can dilute the vinegar 2:1 with water. Heavy spots may require pure vinegar. Either way, the vinegar will not harm you or your car. Vinegar is a very mild acid, which dissolves the alkaline-based mineral water deposits with ease.

If hard water spots are allowed to remain for more than a week or two, they may etch the glass. So, even though you have removed the minerals causing the water spots, the spots remain as damage to your glass. In these cases, it is necessary to polish the glass. Until recently, there were a number of glass polishes on the market. The two best products were Eagle One Glass Polish & RainX Glass Polish. However, both of these products have been discontinued due to little demand.

In my experience, any light (low abrasive) car polish that does not contain paint feeding oils will work as a good glass polish. Eagle One Scratch Remover is a good example of a polish that does not contain oils and works well on glass, as does P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer. There are two ways to use these polishes. The most gentle is to use an old t-shirt to polish the spotted area and buff to full luster. The second is to use the polish with #00 or finer synthetic steel wool to remove the spots then buff with an old t-shirt.

If your glass is heavily pitted, or mildly scratched, you can also use polish to restore the finish. In this case, it may be necessary to use a buffer in order to achieve the desired results. In some cases, the glass may be so deeply pitted, etched, or scratched that the inevitable must occur, you must replace the glass.