Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stupid stuff Holden did.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Those dipstickless transmissions were used by Ford in 96.
Yep, sadly, for me Holden is in the unenviable position for being the first auto vehicle I’ve owned without an auto dipstick :p and I can’t make excuses for them :rolleyes:

Had I owned a Ford back then, I’d have been just as disgusted at them as I am at Holden :eek: I’m an equal opportunity hater :p

[rant]
Really, doing such shitfuckery to and otherwise good car is just part of the designed obsolescence mindset that has infected many manufacturers and is part of the “stupid stuff” they do either directly or accept because of whatever reason they need to use to be able to sleep better at nights… cause the world’s environment will be saved by removing single use shopping bags (which I got multiple uses out of)…
[/rant]

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
But it goes to the fact that Holden was limited to parts from GM and no major budget to simply redesign parts to suit our local use.
In this case we’re talking of a dipstick and tube that are available after market for $100 odd and they fit nicely :)

Holden would have been able to get them for peanuts… and install them in less than two minutes on the assembly line when box and motor were mated and before the lot was pushed up into the body…

It’s not as if Holden considered aspects of accessibility, clearance and serviceability as a high priority within their design, something that took large man hours, cause if they did they failed…

So no real design as such, just a bit of paper work to define what gets purchased, delivered and installed… If such was so complex that their budget couldn’t handle it, then they deserved to go under :rolleyes:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Even if it was only $50 per dip stick assembly, how many V8 auto's did they build and then add 2 minutes extra build time per engine multiplied by the hourly rate of the person fitting said items. I'm sure it adds up. That doesn't make it right. IIRC GM weren't to happy with Holden doing the VF model update so I'm sure they were screwing Holden over the design budget.

How did the LS motors and transmission arrive in Aussie from GM? Assembled units? Matched pairs? Regardless Holden would have had to justify the extra costs to their Boss's

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regardless Holden would have had to justify the extra costs to their Boss's
And in my view they stuffed up in not fighting harder to do the right thing by their customers…

The fact the owner, GM screwed us all is just another perspective and dimension to it… Hopefully we’ll all remember when it comes time that GM comes slinking back into our market try to sell their electric wares for the masses…

With the cheapening of the “best of the last“, and the way they’ve since handled warranty, dealer service outlets and parts availability… we shouldn’t forget.

And I won’t make excuses for their shitfuckery :mad:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm not making excuses but I can see how these decisions come about.

On the flip side, be happy that Holden ended up producing the VF, it could have very easily been cancelled by GM.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
That doesn't make it right. IIRC GM weren't to happy with Holden doing the VF model update
Yeah, the seven year model run of VE was nowhere near long enough….

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Another stupid engineering/manufacture/marketing annoyance is Holden’s choice to call their VF auto transmissions sealed for life and not include the lack of an auto trans fluid dipstick :mad:

Its these sorts of ”servicing” changes that really piss me off as it implies owners and enthusiasts who don’t have a hoist at home shouldn’t work on their cars… Fukers :mad:

Oh and let’s not forget wiper blades back in the mid 80’s used to be simple and very cheap, next to nothing in cost for a student. Just buy the rubber and slide it into the wiper frame and you’re done… Now it’s an expensive bit of kit (in comparison to just a blade ) where aftermarket stuff doesn’t seem to work well as they chatter… who’d have thought wiper blades have to be OEM to work well :rolleyes:
VF wipers make a lot of noise, at least on my car...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Even the front end of the ZB was a massive step backwards in comparison to the VF.
That bonnet is horrible compared to the chiseled and sculptured bonnet of the VF.
I don't think the ZB looks terrible, but it definitely shouldn't have been called a Commodore! Holden knew that this decision would cause lots of backlash but they went with it anyway which was a huge mistake!

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
If it’s a BMW X5 that’s because it uses the same transmission. Was surprised when I found out the X5 used the 5L40E transmission. I would have thought BMW wouldn’t be up for using GM crap.
AWD E46 3 Series BMW's also use this transmisson! I think all AWD models of the time use GM 5 speed transmissions while the RWD ones use a ZF