Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stupid vn rule

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
i work for trivett ... largest prestige group in aus ... they just got a harley franchise which shares the workshop with peugeot who i work for from factory they are njot that loud they are loud when u put straight pipes one which u can order through factory. u can also get a NOS kit from factory.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
They sound nice with standard pipes but the straight thrus are intrusive, must be over 120db.

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I think you find that because Harley's come from the factory like that, that it is actually legal for them to be that loud. There is not the same emissions/noise filters on a bike, because you don't have the room to put it all ... There is no cat on a Harley, and any baffle on the bike exhaust to keep the noise down is in the pipe... Some people drill out the baffle in the exhaust to make it louder, and to the untrained eye, you would never be able to tell.. This is why the cops can't/wont do anything about them....

I am a bike rider (Jap sports bike) and I do hate the loudness of a Harley. I have a Yoshimura exhaust on my bike, and it is a little louder then the standard pipe. Motorcycles also have a butterfly clip in them, which stays shut under 3,000 rpm. This is to keep down emissions, and noise... But after 3,000 they open up ... By coincidence, the emissions & noise tests are performed below 3,000 rpm, so a stock bike will also pass ... (I know this is the case for my 2003/2004 Suzuki GSX-R1000)

From a safety point of view, I would like to make my bike louder, because there is not a day goes by that I am almost wiped off the road because a car driver is not paying attention to what they are doing... A little more noise would at least give them more of a chance to hear me ...

daily_wagolis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Wagon
as stated before, cars from '83 have to keep under 90dB. from memory from when i got my test done, im pretty sure the limit for bikes was 96dB. that's a fair bit louder in terms of intensity than you think, being only 6dB

but most harleys are way above that figure anyway, so the question still stands...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Bike were loud from the factory, yep, in 1960:). My IT 490 is almost deafning but it still passed the noise rules in 1984. How? Yamaha filled the exhaust pipe with a restrictor. It's just a big washer :) of course no one kept them in the bike for more than 10 seconds because they weren't suppose to be there at all

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i have read this on the ask the copper threads and they reckon that noise rules for cars apply to bikes as well, so 92db for cars its 92db for bikes as well.
most coppers just dont pull them over.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
i have read this on the ask the copper threads and they reckon that noise rules for cars apply to bikes as well, so 92db for cars its 92db for bikes as well.
most coppers just dont pull them over.

Bikes are pre Feb 1985 100db
after Feb 1985 94db

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Meh... harleys **** me to tears... i wouldnt be sad to see every single one turned into scrap.
They dont look good
They dont have style
They dont go particularly fast
They dont handle that well
They sound like crap
People riding them are generally clinically retarded.

Ok.. maybe the last one was an exaggeration.
But it just annoys me when your minding your business and all of a sudden you get the crap scared out of you as some wankstain blasts past on a harley and rattles your fillings out with their shitcan exhaust.

Although i admit, it was pretty good seeing the cruise go through town the other day.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
I would rather hear a tough V twin go past than a rotary with a hairdryer. They sound like Freddy Mercury farting into a fan.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Hmm, depends on the rotor.
The Series 6-8 with a nice turbo on it sounds good... the old series 1-2 pieces of NA shite sound like a bowl of nuts.