Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stupid vn rule

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
this little thing has been in my head for a few weeks now and i cant figure out a reasonable explanation. so i thought you guys could help me set it straight.

its the rule about the vn being under the 92db noise level. i mean when you think about it thats fair enough. coz when you get higher than that i think it starts to sound yuk.......

but what about when it physically hurts to be crossing the street when a harley davidson goes past..they are loud as all f**K. then you think about the 92db the vn is under and you ask yourself why me and not those fu**en crotch rockets....its irritating.

anybody know what the deal is. why other things are louder than others.

cheers
matt

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I dono but i know what you saying. A few doors down a bloke has a harley that just has a straight pipe and dam that things loud. You can hear it a km away.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
i seriousssllyyy HATE motorbike NOISE, of any sort (sorry i know people love them on here).. but seriously, the noise is like someone farting 20 times over, constantly in ur ear, it's worse than a 90' corolla with a 10" exhaust tip

Kid_Random

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
my mate had a loud as series 2 rx7...
alot of people compared the noise to a harley

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
we have the same problem over here, the cops can sticker you (defect) if they think it's louder then standard and it's then up to you to prove it's not. harley's standard exhausts are louder then what the max we are allowed to have. go figure. our laws are based on the "boy racer" problem with there ricers etc and we get caught in the cross fire:bang:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Its actually 90db and its not just VN's, its all passenger cars since 1983... This is Australia wide too, as these are rules set in the ADR's and the Vehicle Standards, not state specific guidelines...

The exhaust systems on vehicles manufactured on or after 1st January, 1974 must at the time of first registration comply with ADR 28 - Motor Vehicle Noise.
In service all vehicles must comply with the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 1999 Part 10 Division 3 – Noise Emissions.
For passenger cars, derivates and panel vans manufactured on or after 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level when tested must not exceed 90 dB(A).

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
It is recognised by authorities that a loud exhaust is a safety feature on a bike(makes sure people driving cars know that they are there) but you have to call it quits at some point. I think the cops dont hand tickets to harley riders cause they dont want to start **** with the biker gangs. Its plainly obvious that the cops will only pick on the people that wont stand up as a group to defend themselves. Just look at when there are riots, the cops wont arrest people for fear of escalating the situation. Why should the rest of us that dont have a mob mentality be punished and the people causing the real problems get away with it.

end rant.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
It is recognised by authorities that a loud exhaust is a safety feature on a bike(makes sure people driving cars know that they are there) but you have to call it quits at some point. I think the cops dont hand tickets to harley riders cause they dont want to start **** with the biker gangs. Its plainly obvious that the cops will only pick on the people that wont stand up as a group to defend themselves. Just look at when there are riots, the cops wont arrest people for fear of escalating the situation. Why should the rest of us that dont have a mob mentality be punished and the people causing the real problems get away with it.

end rant.

I dont think upsetting bikies is relevant here. Not everyone that rides a harley is a bikey. Police wont mess with clubs like the Finks, Hells Angels, Rebels, Gypsy Jokers and the rest but im sure it has nothing to do with not handing out tickets to individuals riding harley davidsons.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Then why have I never seen one pulled over for excessive noise, ive seen the cops go past them on numerous occasions and not pull them up. If someone has a better reason why they dont get pulled up im all ears, but ive seen it many times when I was younger doing laps and the cops pull over heaps of cars on and given night for machineries but the bikes never get pulled up.