Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stupid water pump

koztek55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 5.7 6spd
Just some advice or info needed guys, had the water pump changed on my vx ss in December, now its leaking again. Is there a gasket or sealant that I can put on? It started leaking after I drove.from Melbourne to wagga wagga. Or is it possible it wasn't tightened properly when put in?
Cheers, Kosta

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Hey Kosta ,it could be a faulty water pump I had 5 water pumps replaced in a row b4 I finally got one that worked properly.Go and have it replaced again because it will have warranty on it and you shouldnt have to pay for it.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The waterpump kit should come with two new gaskets. Did you go genuine of aftermarket? Get the place you got it replaced at to do it under parts warranty, and then get them to check the rest of the cooling system out once the pump is replaced to make sure everything else is working as it should.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Genuine water pumps are more expensive than the cheaper ones, but they are worth they because it will last heaps longer than most cheap ones,(thats if the cooling system is looked after properly etc).I know guys who have gone through 2 or 3 cheap water pumps to one genuine pump,so it ends up costing more in the long run than it would have for a new genuine pump.Ive found this is usually the case with most "cheapie" aftermarket parts,especially the 3 ignition coils on V6's, and cheapie crank angle sensors.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Run a socket over the pump holding bolts, just in case they are a bit loose.

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
Take it back i would i had mine replaced cos of leak haven't had a problem since mine was only cheap like 250 or some thing like that

koztek55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 5.7 6spd
thanks guys, i bought the pump myself, cost me $210, had a mechanic fit it, just really is annoying that its already shat itself, any other good brands besides from original gm?? got a trade price quote from autobarn for $235

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I am seeing a stack of these on ebay from just over $20 to $49. Buy a couple and you are still way in front. Fitting is so easy it is stupid. I did my one on the side of the road with a few spanners and a scraper to get the old gasket off. probably pay to put a smear of gasket silastic on the new gasket before installing. If you want to look at the ebay items, here 'tis...VT Commodore V6 water pump, Car, Truck Parts items at low prices on eBay.com.au

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
Yeah I got one for $35 and fitted it in half an hour.
Piece of cake to do.
Can't believe some cost over $200.
Just goes to show how much mark-up there can be on these parts.

koztek55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 5.7 6spd
im going to replace it myself this time, but its a gen3 so i havent found one that cheap, all around 150-260$