Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub/Amp Wiring

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
a bit of info if you are looking to install some subs into the zb.
this was done on a rs or a zb with the 7 inch mylink screen.
the silverbox is on the drivers side up under the dash, you will see a plastic cover and there is a single 7mm screw at the very front holding it in place.
undo the screw and push the sides in to unlock the cover and pull it down.
loc.jpg

the brown plug on the silverbox is the plug that has the speaker wires, i connected my subs to the rear door speakers.
if you do not have the brown plug continue reading this thread as the wires for the green plug are discussed.

plug.jpg

plugdef.jpg

you will need a amp with "hi input" functionality or a level converter to use these wires.

everything is pretty much the same as any other amp/sub install you would do.

here is a schematic from my manual for the brown plug, the wire colors might be different but the pin locations are the same which will be pins 11 to 14.
schem.jpg

connect the amp directly to the battery in the boot, make sure you fuse it and set the amp to audio detection mode so it will switch on when the speakers output a signal.

after just adding the sub to the zb the system sounds really good.

fin.jpg

Last edited:

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
Is this a wagon?

Where did you mount the subs?

i was wondering I’d just replacing the door and centre speakers with high quality work new would do the job...... I know to do it probably they need amp but I’d rather not start screwing around with the wiring if I can help it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Is this a wagon?

Where did you mount the subs?

It was in a liftback but the wiring is the same and i used this boxed sub with the amp built in.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
2018 rs zb liftback but I don't have this brown plug. Any chance if someone has installed theirs that they could take a photo with the cover off to display which plug it is? All my plus look smaller but I must be missing something haha

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
2018 rs zb liftback but I don't have this brown plug. Any chance if someone has installed theirs that they could take a photo with the cover off to display which plug it is? All my plus look smaller but I must be missing something haha

Does your one look like this?

images-jpeg-53.jpg

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Does your one look like this?

images-jpeg-53.jpg
Hi Stooge, I've attached some photos and "tried" to get some good angles haha. Down the side hidden away (can't get a photo) I can read made in Vietnam LG electronics
edit: also I'm not entirely show how to even remove them from the sockets within damaging the clips (use to Toyota gear for the last 20 years where everything seems to be easy to work with!)

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_102420.jpg
    IMG_20210427_102420.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20210427_102359.jpg
    IMG_20210427_102359.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_20210427_102319.jpg
    IMG_20210427_102319.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Screenshot_2021-04-27-10-22-09-914_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-27-10-22-09-914_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it looks like it is the green plug.
pin 3 = left rear +
pin 11 = left rear -
pin 4 = right rear +
pin 12 = right rear -

i would depin the wires for each rear speaker to confirm that they are the correct pins for the speakers.

also is your rs not the v6?

zbg.jpg

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
it looks like it is the green plug.
pin 3 = left rear +
pin 11 = left rear -
pin 4 = right rear +
pin 12 = right rear -

i would depin the wires for each rear speaker to confirm that they are the correct pins for the speakers.

also is your rs not the v6?

zbg.jpg
Thank you so much for that. How did you connect onto your wires? Cut and solder the joins? Or t taps (I'm not usually a fan but would save cutting harnesses)
mine is the turbo LTG 2.0 RS, decided to make a change since I'd almost always owned v6

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the 2.0l will explain why the silver box is different.

i depin the wires from the plug and about 2cm from the pin i will strip a section of the plastic coating off and then solder the new wire on and put heatshrink on it then push the pin back into the plug.
doing it like that saves you cutting any wire.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
the 2.0l will explain why the silver box is different.

i depin the wires from the plug and about 2cm from the pin i will strip a section of the plastic coating off and then solder the new wire on and put heatshrink on it then push the pin back into the plug.
doing it like that saves you cutting any wire.
Makes sense, thank you for that. Just got to try and track down some pin removal tools which will be fun in New Zealand, might have to order them in. Looking forward to having my active sub back - appreciate your help