Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub and amp question

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Bubbles said:
well i just got 2 subs in a box. all i want to know is:
- what channel amp will be best?
- any other things i need to wire it up (part from the wires)

not very audio minded.

thanks for your help

Hi, welcome to the forum.

You need to tell us what brand and model subs at least. You should also tell us what size/tuning the enclosure is. What music you listen to? Do you want the best quality sound (sq), daily driver, max loud (spl)? What does the rest of your system consist of? i.e. splits, amp, head unit?

Cheers

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
a mono will probably be better for running subs, more efficient and usually better suited to run subs

Bubbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec
thanks, i dont know qhat brand of subs they dont have any markings on them. and dont know the size of the box (i got them 2nd hand for free and still work apprantly). i listen to all sorts of music (both contry AND western, only kidding) but im changing my mind and i just want to put the one in the parcel shelf of the VT, so just a 2 channel amp will do? sorry for all the hassel

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
We can't tell you what sort of amp to use without knowing what impedence the subs are and how they're wired inside the box.

If you have two single 4 ohm voice coil subs, then a monoblock that is stable to 2 ohm will work fine if you wire them in parallel. If you use a two channel in this situation, you could blow the amp as most two channels will only run 4 ohm when they are bridged.

If you don't have a clue what i'm talking about, go see a pro or borrow a multmeter and take a sub out of the box and measure it's resistance.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
soz, stone already suggested it :p btw, if its got just one terminal block for both subs. just put the multimeter onto this to see total resistance