Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub and Amp setup

zenzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU6
Hello I recently impulse bought a Subwoofer and amplifier to go in my car. I literally no nothing about car audio so please be kind but I wanted to know how well or how bad my subwoofer will run off of the Amplifier I bought

The Amplifier I bought is Alpine Mono Power MRX-M55 Alpine Electronics of Australia and is rated at 585W.

The Subwoofer I bought is also Alpine and is 12 inch Alpine Electronics of Australia and is rated at 500W.

Are these going to work well together or have I stuffed up completely? And also because its a mono amp does that mean I can only connect the subwoofer to it?

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
I don't see why not, the amp does 550watts @ 2ohm, your subwoofer is rated for 500watt, you can then wire it down to 2ohm in parallel because it is dual voice coil.

A higher power amplifier is always going to be better, less chance for distortion at higher volumes if tuned right. You also want to match the impedance (ohms) for example if the subwoofer is a 4ohm single voice coil then you want an amp that is going to put out at the same if not more power at 4ohm.

Sub's can generally handle more power than they are rated for in the right box.

More technically the subwoofer impedance will rise as it is playing, so having a more powerful amp is a good idea.