Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Box Enclosure

Which would you recommend??

• Standard Tight Bass

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Optimal Sound Quality - Flat Response

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • SPL Very Boomie - Loud

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
If thats the sub you wanted to get because of the above reasons then good on you for buying it, and im sure if the only other sub youve had is a Type R (by the way how much power were you giving it?) than im sure you will be very pleased with the results.
My vote is to go for a sealed box, a smaller volume version will sacrifice that flat response weve talked about.

The type / size of the box plays a GREAT part in the type / volume of bass you will experience, the same can be said for box placement too. Ported in general will give you a higher output (volume), while still being a relatively flat response. The downside to a ported box is the size mainly. Whereas a sealed box (again in general) will give you a tighter sound with better SQ and is usually much smaller.

By the way i reckon a 2cu.ft. sealed enclosure is pretty big for sealed, and i would imagine a ~1.5cu.ft. box would some really similar.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Although I would normally agree with you here on that holdenboy I've heard a few of these subs and they do not provide much of anything in a sealed enclosure due to the lack of mechanical suspension. it really needs a vented enclosure...it has too much trouble pressurising the enclosure behind it it so its a better perform when it does not have to pressurise a box.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
All I know is that in the manual it clearly states "NOT" to use a sealed box. So I'm gonna go with a ported.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
it's true...the EBP for this woofer definetly leans towards vented or bandpass

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Ok guys, I'm going a cheaper route (temporary), my mate is going to make me a box, he's a cabinet maker so it'll do for the time being.

I was wondering if there was a good program/site/calculator to work out the size of the box I need. I have a limited space in my boot in Width wise. I will have the sub facing upwards in the boot, it will just be a rectangular box.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
WinISD is a good solid free program.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi guys,
Just making dimensions for my box.
Making a rectangular box
The sub is going to facing upwards
55cm Long, 28cm High, 46cm Wide.
Port size (x2, either side) 46cm Long, 10cm Wide.
I have restictions on the Width (max 46cm). The manual says I need atleast Height 9.76" which includes a minimum 2" clearance between sub and box (noted by the manual) so I gave it 3" clearance ontop of the 9.76".

For some reason this seems kinda small for 70.82L volume box. But my mate says its right. Do you recon the port sizes are too small?

Anyways, let us know what you think?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
your right...that gives 50 litres INCLUDING your vents...your box volume cannot include your vents so you will have to make the box bigger

Reaction score
your right...that gives 50 litres INCLUDING your vents...your box volume cannot include your vents so you will have to make the box bigger

if those are internal dimensions, it gives 70.8 litres.

if those are external dimensions, you don't know what thickness MDF he's using, so can't calculate the volume.

if you make the box those dimensions internally, and mount the ports outside of the box, you'll have the volume you were looking for...

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Given that he has already said that the max width he goes is 46cm you can already determine that that is external. Based upon that and the fact that is area is tight then smallest he can use 3/4" with that being said his internal dimensions would equate to 50L.