Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub box general question / perspex?

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by mojo.jojo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mojo.jojo

mojo.jojo New Member

Members Ride:
    vt calais lx torana
    HI, is there anyone about(yeah i know its easter and most ppl have a life...but ) that can tell me if it is possible, i know its possible but if it will destroy the sound, to put 2 thin panels of perspex into the sides of a sealed sub box? I have some lights i want to install and would like to have say a 8-10cm strip perspex on sides.(resealed)..will this cause too much flex or should i make a false casing for the lights? its just a 1200w 350w 12" jvc cheapy but may as well make the most of it . cheers
    jojo

2. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    you would want at least 3/4"-1" policarbonate thin perspex will probably just shatter

3. holdenboy

holdenboy Custom Car Stereo Systems

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Yeah use failry thick perspex, certainly thicker than the wood you are using. Also make sure to seal it well.

4. Mike S

Mike S Car Audio Pro

I've had good results using policarbinate, never used perspex although I guess it's just a lower grade of material. Obviously the thicker stuff you use the better but it's horrendously expensive in thicker sizes. I used a piece about 500mm long x 250mm wide x 10mm thick in a double sub box and it worked great. I couldn't feel any flex in it at all, no more than you'd feel using 18mm MDF anyway. It sounds like your going to do much smaller areas but I wouldn't go any thinner than 8mm or so.

Have fun with it, it's a very neat thing to do, especially if your going to use a strobe inside the box.
    Here's a hint .... paint the inside of the box white and use a black light strobe, the effect is awsome. Also have a play with mirrors, the possibilities are endless.