Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub box general question / perspex?

mojo.jojo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais lx torana
HI, is there anyone about(yeah i know its easter and most ppl have a life...but ) that can tell me if it is possible, i know its possible but if it will destroy the sound, to put 2 thin panels of perspex into the sides of a sealed sub box? I have some lights i want to install and would like to have say a 8-10cm strip perspex on sides.(resealed)..will this cause too much flex or should i make a false casing for the lights? its just a 1200w 350w 12" jvc cheapy but may as well make the most of it . cheers
jojo

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you would want at least 3/4"-1" policarbonate thin perspex will probably just shatter

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah use failry thick perspex, certainly thicker than the wood you are using. Also make sure to seal it well.

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
I've had good results using policarbinate, never used perspex although I guess it's just a lower grade of material. Obviously the thicker stuff you use the better but it's horrendously expensive in thicker sizes. I used a piece about 500mm long x 250mm wide x 10mm thick in a double sub box and it worked great. I couldn't feel any flex in it at all, no more than you'd feel using 18mm MDF anyway. It sounds like your going to do much smaller areas but I wouldn't go any thinner than 8mm or so.

Have fun with it, it's a very neat thing to do, especially if your going to use a strobe inside the box.
Here's a hint .... paint the inside of the box white and use a black light strobe, the effect is awsome. Also have a play with mirrors, the possibilities are endless.