Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub box

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
ok, so the stock aeropro sub box isnt the best!! i have my dual pioneer premier TS-W3001D4 installed invert(magnet out) as they bottom out and dont fit the box. i want to make a box big enough so i can fit them magnet in!...

what sort of timber would be best to make a custom box and what thickness?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
From the advice i've been given from the guy's on here, MDF is the best wood to use, and 18mm minuimum for building a sub box. But just incase you didn't know, you can't just go building a bigger box, it should be of the recommend dimensions, as per the manafactuer. I thought i got mine right, but i farked it up!!! So now it's time to start all over again........

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah as commodorevp said MDF is the way to go, 16-18mm should be fine. If building a sealed enclosure, you'll wanna make it 1.8-2.2 cu.ft. in total internal volume.

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
yer i got the plans made up here somwhere! what would be better? ported or sealed? i've only had ported so i cant compare to sealed...

basically it just gonna be deep enough to fit the subs...i jsut hope it fits in the boot! last box i made for a 15 didnt fit in the boot! lol

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Whether you go sealed or ported really comes down to personell preference. Although in the rare case some sub's are reccomended are for either one, you usually have a chioce.

Sealed boxes are genereally smaller in size, and produce tighter more accurate bass, and tend to have a flatter response curve.

Ported boxes can go louder, and can be tuned to a specific frequency, but you will lose some of the sound quality associated with a sealed enclosure. Ported enclosure's are usually more effecient when it comes to producing volume, but at the same time you can risk damage to your sub's.

I've only ever had sealed enclosure's, and have been more interested in Sound Quality. But the box i recently attempted to build was a ported enclosre, aimed at max SPL...