Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub draining battery

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
as above ^ capacitors dont do much besides add weight to your car. Get a good battery, good earths, good cabling.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
as above ^ capacitors dont do much besides add weight to your car. Get a good battery, good earths, good cabling.

b4 when i was running a 500rms, i had a cap installed and the bat power was fine then wen i took the cap out, it would cut out and all and wasnt enough power, so from my experience they really do help

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i think he's exaggerating a little bit on frying alts and killing bats, any sub/amp is gonna drain the battery..

since wen? it depends on the set up and how much amps its pulling. half the time guys dont bother with upgrading the main grounding points and/or checking the alternator is up 2 scratch.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
I love how you kids talk about capacitors.

I'm with you mate. We need more details, i run 2kwrms with no dimming of lights, slight voltage drop if i'm a wanker and turn the boost up.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
b4 when i was running a 500rms, i had a cap installed and the bat power was fine then wen i took the cap out, it would cut out and all and wasnt enough power, so from my experience they really do help

Chances are it would have all been fine on 500wrms if you upgraded the factory earths and alternator charge wire 'big 3 upgrade'. 500wrms isn't much at all mate.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I'm with you mate. We need more details, i run 2kwrms with no dimming of lights, slight voltage drop if i'm a wanker and turn the boost up.

That's lucky xD. I'm running 800WRMS into 2 ohm and my lights dim like hell. But I'm going to assume the battery is on the way out. I am running a 4 guage kit not 0 guage, but with only have a moderate bit of power in mine it should be enough.

EDIT: And no, I'm not using a capacitor. Don't plan on it either unless I just want to stop the dimming, not for more power.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you want to stop your lights dimming, then upgrade the engine bay wiring. Batt- to chassis, Batt- to engine, Batt+ to alternator charge. go to an auto elec have them make up some decent cables with hydraulic hex crimped ends, i imagine for 4awg or even 0awg it can't cost $50, your problem would be fixed. Ensure your earths are rubbed back to absolute bare metal. Unless your battery really is f*cked.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Chances are it would have all been fine on 500wrms if you upgraded the factory earths and alternator charge wire 'big 3 upgrade'. 500wrms isn't much at all mate.

ohh i forgot to mention. it was a class A/B amp and it was

Efficiency (average)

67% @ 4-Ohm
58% @ 2-Ohm

i was running at 2ohm

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It still shouldn't cut out unless your power supply wasn't up to the task and I know for sure that a healthy VY electrical system could run that amp with no issue. Your capacitor was a band-aid to cover up another issue.