Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub enclosure with perspex cover

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
So basically I'm redoing my sub box. They currently face towards the cabin and I'm copping cancellation, open the boot and it sounds better. Which way they face isn't in question.

I will be having the sub's face rearward in a sealed enclosure. I do a heap of traveling and the last thing I want is luggage damaging my sub's. I want to place a perspex pane along the back covering the front of the sub's. It will sit roughly an inch off the mdf to allow for the cones movement.

Will this setup create any weird cancellation or dampen the sound in any way? I don't want to go to all this trouble and find it sounds the same.

Cheers in advance.

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
im interested to hear what people have to say about this bease i want to do the same.But is your box ported, vented or sealed? and what size voltage

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Sub's firing rearward or in the rear corner's slightly facing foward is usually the best.
Sub's firing into cabin can sound good, You just have to seal the front of the box from the rest of the boot.

I have my subwoofer's firing rearward and upward on about a 40deg angle, Sealed. Pushed right up toward the back of the car.
Sound's excelent for what it is, They are just prefab boxes, I will be going huge ported enclosue as soon as i get a chance to build it.

So you mean, Sub box up against rear seat firing backward with a window of perspex from the bottom of the parcel shelf all the way to the boot floor sort of sealing half the boot off?, And sub's on the back of the back seat side firing rearward?(with perspex in front of it)?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
im interested to hear what people have to say about this bease i want to do the same.But is your box ported, vented or sealed? and what size voltage

Box is sealed, as the sub's are enclosure designed. They are 10inch pioneer sub's requiring 22l each.

Sub's firing rearward or in the rear corner's slightly facing foward is usually the best.
Sub's firing into cabin can sound good, You just have to seal the front of the box from the rest of the boot.

I have my subwoofer's firing rearward and upward on about a 40deg angle, Sealed. Pushed right up toward the back of the car.
Sound's excelent for what it is, They are just prefab boxes, I will be going huge ported enclosue as soon as i get a chance to build it.

So you mean, Sub box up against rear seat firing backward with a window of perspex from the bottom of the parcel shelf all the way to the boot floor sort of sealing half the boot off?, And sub's on the back of the back seat side firing rearward?(with perspex in front of it)?

Yes sub box sitting on the hump hard up against the back seats, cone pointing rearward and mounted on the mdf visible from for the boot space.
My current box sits neatly on top and the drop down part of the hump is visible. I'm thinking the same style and diamensions, not fussed on trying to hide the hump with mdf. The prettiness can and will be worked out later.

So the Perspex will be only the length and height of the box, roughly 30x90. It won't seal anything, I just need it to protect the sub's. I have choosen perspex because I would like to see the sub's in action.

I would love to shove a sub in each corner at the very rear of the boot but sub literage, spare tyre and maximum boot space makes it nearly impossible to achieve. New subs are not an option at this point. I'm working with what I have, which leads me back to my question, will this setup have any weird sound side effects?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You will basically create a bandpass box.
dual5s_early.png

Doesn't have to be ported. The front volume is as critical as the rear. This will dictate your upper cutoff frequency.

Why not just get a protective grill?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
You will get wave cancellation bouncing off the Perspex. Even though it's not completely sealed the sound wave will act as though it is. And with a sheet if Perspex there you won't fit the BBQ in your boot.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The way my current box is, and the new setup i will gain an extra 10cm in the boot :) so the BBQ will still fit fine. The last thing I want is the BBQ damaging my sub's.

Have contemplated grills but I haven't seen any tha look half decent. Maybe I use grills or covers for trips.

Sorry m1lky, I can see how I'll have created a bandpass box. Take a normal sub box hover a sheet of perspex 1inch over the sub's, and that's what I'm talking about. The Perspex won't seal anything. Plus when I have the boot full of luggage my front volume is nonexistent.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
If you're looking for an off the shelf grille, the Morel Ultimo grille looks quite nice, it may fit your subs
269_ultimo12_1200142579.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Thanks sweefu, I'll check them out.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Nup, not really a fan of grills. I can see **** going thru those.

Any more insite from anyone that has tried my preposed setup?