Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub install VF2 SSV question

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Hello. I am looking to install a small sub in the boot of my VF2 SSV sedan. From reading other threads I believe the SSV has a amp in the boot for the rear parcel shelf speakers? I don't want to pull apart the interior of the car or head unit, I just want to add a small sub to the factory system and the factory rear amp if possible. Just want a bit of more bass as it is quite limited at the moment in comparison to my Mercedes E class factory system with sub which was quite good.
So does anyone know if it is possible to simply connect a sub to the factory amp in the boot of the SSV? Not expecting massive bass just enough to know there is a proper sub there. Maybe a 8" sub.

Was browsing and have found hideaway amp and sub units like this kicker 8"? This looks more like what I am after just wondering would it be able to replace my factory amp and connect all the wires from the factory amp into this? Or can I add this ontop of the factory amp?

Or upon further investigation, could I purchase a higher power amp and replace the factory amp with the aftermarket one (plug and play?) and then connect a sub to that amp? Can I connect all the OEM equipment to an aftermarket amp with ease? I want the car to be stock just want a sub in it.

I have no experience in setting up a sub and amp system in a car, so just wanting some input on my options. I quite like the sub and amp in one as it seems clean and easier install?

Last edited:

antwerpflash

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Chevy SS

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Hello. I am looking to install a small sub in the boot of my VF2 SSV sedan. From reading other threads I believe the SSV has a amp in the boot for the rear parcel shelf speakers? I don't want to pull apart the interior of the car or head unit, I just want to add a small sub to the factory system and the factory rear amp if possible. Just want a bit of more bass as it is quite limited at the moment in comparison to my Mercedes E class factory system with sub which was quite good.
So does anyone know if it is possible to simply connect a sub to the factory amp in the boot of the SSV? Not expecting massive bass just enough to know there is a proper sub there. Maybe a 8" sub.

Was browsing and have found hideaway amp and sub units like this kicker 8"? This looks more like what I am after just wondering would it be able to replace my factory amp and connect all the wires from the factory amp into this? Or can I add this ontop of the factory amp?

Or upon further investigation, could I purchase a higher power amp and replace the factory amp with the aftermarket one (plug and play?) and then connect a sub to that amp? Can I connect all the OEM equipment to an aftermarket amp with ease? I want the car to be stock just want a sub in it.

I have no experience in setting up a sub and amp system in a car, so just wanting some input on my options. I quite like the sub and amp in one as it seems clean and easier install?
Did you solve this?

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car

Attachments

• AA880163-6F31-47E2-B3C8-DC328655355D.jpeg
    AA880163-6F31-47E2-B3C8-DC328655355D.jpeg
    783.9 KB · Views: 994

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
Yes this is very possible. You have two options. You can intercept a clean signal from the head unit just prior to the Bose amp. Use that signal to supply the low level inputs to your amp. Or you can intercept the speaker signals after the amp. Then run that signal into the high level inputs on your amp.

The Bose amp does a lot of signal processing. That's why most people intercept the signal between the head unit and the amp at the X3 connector. That way you signal is clean and you should not have problems supplying an amp for a sub. Bruce