Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub is clipping bottoming out? help? AMP MIGHT BE STUFFED?

trentest

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
So i have got myself two type r subs both are dvc 4 ohms, one sub is 600rms the other is 500 rms and im using a mrp-m1000 alpine amp to power them. I have wired the subs to 4 ohms so the subs together shouldnt be seeing more than 500 rms which they should be able to handle double when put together. Anyway the problem is when the volume on headunit is decently loud one of the subs sounds like its clipping/bottoming out :S The gain is just under half way and so is the bass boost. I tried to set the gain by using a 40hz test tone but before it hit distortion it just sounded like one of the subs was clipping.

any guidance on what to do next would be helpful
cheers, Trent

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
2 different subs, one amp, probably the problem there. Why haven't you just ran one at a time to see if the sub itself is damaged?

trentest

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
nah i have mate, at first it was one type r and one type s, at that time the type s was making the noise now i changed it so i got two type r's one still made a noise. I then put just one type r in a ported box which i wired to 8 ohms so its not getting to much power and it makes the noise still. The dual sub box is sealed if that helps.
should have added that at the start**

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Tune your amp & headunit properly, This is why soo many kids blow their fully sick subwoofers because they don't properly tune their equipment.

trentest

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
yeah mate ive tried but i dont know exactly what is making this particular setup make the noise. I had twin pioneers no problems then twin type s no problem and all different amps. this is the first time ive encountered this problem. like i said i tried tuning the subs at 40hz but it just made the noise before any distortion, so maybe headunit is set wrong?

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Distorted audio from improper tuning is the main cause for clipping subwoofers, You'll know if it's bottoming out because it'll bottom out once or twice before the voice coil is fragged.

trentest

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
well yeah it probly isnt bottoming out because its not really going to hard. what exactly should i be looking at tuning? ive tried adjusting the gain and bass boost on the amp and when i can get it to not make the noise on big hits the subs dont seem that loud at all. the type s' runing off a sony mono block were a lot louder without any problems

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Should NEVER use bass boost.

trentest

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
alright, ill chuck that off tomorrow and see how it goes

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I still don't understand take the good sub out of the situation all together, and regardless of the type of enclosure.

Run the problem sub on it's own, what does it do?

Just sit both subs out of the enclosures so you can switch the wiring between them, you will know straight away if it's an issue with the sub.

Even if your head unit settings ect were all way off it wouldn't matter you would hear the same thing through the other driver.