Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Or Amp problem???

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Hey All,

Just have a problem with my amp or subs that has just happened in the past 4 days

What happens is volume on 22 is fine but put up to 23 n i loose a heap of bass. My subs used to crank to around vol 27/28 b4 they peaked

Ive checked all my grounds n power, thinkin that it was unable to ground out properly once on this volume.

Put multi-meter on it n she reads perfect, 12.4 off, 14.3 on, and only loose's around 0.2v wen pumping

Ive got a JBL 75.4 520w amp running 2x JBL 12inch 250rms subs bridged.

I have no idea y this problem has started, cept that i did overheat the amp bout 2weeks ago on a long drive.

The problem has only started on fri night as i noticed it sounded distorted at a level it should be smooth.

I turned me gain down a bit thinking it may have worked its way up a bit but still no change.

Im stuffed if i can think of wats goin on.

Any help would be great,Thanks :thumbsup:

Also what sends the signal for vol control from H/U to amp.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Goin to go get a Jaycar capacitor the sarvo, but i doubt it will change anything.

Its just weird that this has happened all of a sudden.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Cap has fixed the problem, dunno how but it has.

Also the dude at jaycar said there caps have a beep that goes off while it charges, it dont beep.

Has anyone else got a response capacitor from jaycar???

Im sure its all wired up right, batt + to + on cap then + from cap to amp, and cap - to chassis, got amp earthed to same spot as cap but on a different wire, amp not earthed thru cap.

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Yeah, on got 1 the other week. Guy in jaycar said to stop the beeping, just pull out the speaker and it won't damage your warranty. I got them to do it..But the beeping was real annoying. Now it doesn't beep at all....
Which one did you get? I just got the 1 Farad one...

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah i just got the 1farad cap, but mine dont beep like he said it would.

What hole did u put the batt power into, i put mine in the big 2guage hole, then ran power to the amp from the 4gauge next to it.

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
i put mine in the 4gauge hole...cause the bigger hle was 2 big.....and then doubled up a 8 gauge wire 2 power 2 amps...If thats makes sense...

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah that makes sense.

So ur useing the hole on the bak n one on the side.

Wonder if thats the reason it beeps, coz im just using the onse on the sides, n im not getting the beep like he said it would.

Im happy with it, glad i dont have to take out the pretzo thingy to stop the beeping.

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
thats not the reason it beeps. When I first used it, it was beeping...Really annoying and loud....There's a new version and an old version..I think the new one is the squarish design one, not the big cylindrical one...And the square one beeps...The old one doesn't...

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah mine is the square one, I think the model by memory is RU-6752.

But i was pointing more towards using the back hole as the batt + to be a reason y urs beeped n mine didnt.

Jaycar explained what i would need to remove to stop the thing from beeping when it charges but mine hasnt beeped. weird eh

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Just curious what made you go get a cap, cause i can think of no reason how it would be fixing the problem you describe......... if someone can, please enlighten me :)