Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub randomly cuts out then returns?

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
was driving yesterday and my sub randomly cut off and came back on about 10 minutes later. this problem has occurred a few times since yesterday now. the amp is still running and doesnt seem to be going into protect mode. ive checked all my wires and nothing seems to be loose. im thinking there might be a kink in my speaker wire leading to it cause it to cut off?
any ideas at all would be grateful i've checked everything i can think of so far.
it doesnt seem to be related to battery power or alternator power as its charging and doesnt seem to matter if im driving fast or slow it still cuts off for periods then returns.
as i said any ideas would be great!
cheers

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I had a similar issue once, The problem was that I was draining all the power from the Amps internal capacitor. Sub would restart after power had regenerated.
Getting a large external capacitor solved the problem. in fact it happily ran 2 subs after cap was installed.

oh, and only other time I had that issue was after I rewired my subs to run at 1ohm, but my amp was not 1ohm stable so once again cut out when too much power was run through it.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
yeah it hasnt done this at all until now and its been in for about 3 months.
so im not sure what it could be. what are these capacitors worth?

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Heat related? Maybe the gain is up to high? How long does it run for before it cuts out

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
not heat related. the amp only just starts getting warm when its on for long drives. its never cut out from heat.
it hasnt been constant at all. just cuts out randomly and comes back on. it can be back on for 10 seconds or half an hour. thats why im so confused as to what it is.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
hahaha so you actually reckon its worth trying a capacitor? ive never looked into them so i dont know much about them. just what they do.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
No, it's not worth getting a capacitor. That's bad advice. You most likely have a wiring issue and if you are 100% sure that it's not turning off or going into protection, then it's most likely your speaker wiring or the subs. It should be cheap and easy enough to put new speaker wire in to rule that out first.

What brand and model amplifier is it?