Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Trouble

B.C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Berlina
Hey i got a problem that i cant solve at all and its shittin me up the wall. I just got 2 pioneer DVC 12" 1000 watt max 450 watt nominal subs and i am running them off a pioneer 600 watt max 4ch amp.
Im having a problem when i tune them and have the gain and everything where it sounds good and is pumping hard when the car is parked, as soon as i drive it say around the block the subs are no where near as loud as they were when parked and aslo wen i crank up the volume they just stop after a certain point. Ive checked all the connections and everything is fine as far as i can see.
Its really got me stumped cause i had almost the same subs with same amp im using now but they werent dual voice coil and the old ones would pump really hard all the time whether the car was parked or driving they were so good that my deaf next door neighbour complained i kid u not.
Now ive noticed that wen the car is parked the battery voltage meter on my head unit says about 13 and under as they subs drain it but wen i drive it peaks upto 14 i think this could be the problem but i dont understand why my old subs didnt have the same problem.

If anyone could help me out id appreciate it alot as im almost at breaking point with this problem its doin my head in.

Cheers

Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
well having a higher voltage when driving is a good thing and wouldn't cause a problem like that.
you are running a couple of 450Wrms subs at 2ohm off a 600Wmax amp, so hence you will be overdriving the amp.so when you turn up the volume the amp is probably going in to a protection mode. tune the gain properly by listening for distorsion, not by what sounds good.
what guage power cable are you running? also have you changed any of the chassis grounds?

B.C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Berlina
Ok thanks for the info so is it because i have dual voice coil subs now and my amp cant handle them. I have tuned my subs by distortion not sound and the gain is not even a 1/4 of the way and probably half as good as my last subs were. Im using 4GA power and earth and 16GA cable to the subs and yes the ground has chaged as this is a different car. Do i need to get a bigger amp?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
well by ground you know i mean the neg batt terminal to chassis ground yeah?
also yes a bigger amp would be a good idea.
do you know what the subs total impedance is? eg are the voice coils wired in parallel or series and then are the subs wired in series or parallel?
what would the budget be for a bigger amp?

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
yeah, considering you have what? 2 450wrms subs = 900wrms running off an amplifier that puts out probably around 300wrms that's never a good sign. If your on a tight budget take a look at buying a Jaycar monoblock. Let us know how much you have to spend.

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
kenwood KAC-9152D amps do 900w rms into a 2ohm load and have a rrp of 599 which would run ur subs perfectly if u are interested in buyin a new amp