Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub turning off and on ?

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Ok, so ive rewired most the car, replaced 8 gauge with 4 gauge and added all the extra rcas through the car for the 4 channel amp when it goes in, but..... Whenever i turn the car left or right the sub will cut out or cut back in, also happens when i reverse sometimes, its really strange and bloody annoying, has anyone else had a problem like this before, ive tightened just about everything i can think of, redid the wiring in the sub box to a thicker wire, checked fuses, almost out of ideas !!!!??

Also is it ok to run 4 gauge and then link to a distributor block and run 2 x 8 gauge off it, running for maybe 30cms as 8 gauge, or would it be better to to run as 4 gauge all the way - this would be to power 2 amps btw ?

Thanks guys

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Have you checked the RCA connections behind the H/U. Often when you push the H/U back in it can push the wires around, and sometimes come out.

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Yeh, i had this problem with the previous installation, mind you all the wires were the cheapest nastied you could ever buy, but yeh, now its a different set of rcas, and i made sure the head unit wasnt forced in... Dunno if this helps - but i ran 3 sets of rcas down the left of the car and the 4 gauge down the right side.

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Ugh after hours of trial and error, ive come to the conclusion that the amp has taken an impact of some sort when autobarn installed it, its missing 3 screws and seems very loose in the part where you do the earth, power section of the amp, slightest touch to that area when its going turns it off and on, hoping theres some kind of way to stiffen the connection back up :(

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Is it too late to go down to Autobarn and smack some heads in, oh and get them to fix it too?

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Probably too late, and im not sure on their policy of BYO gear for them to install... On the plus side i turned it up most the way home and it didnt crap out over bumps or corners, bloody strange

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
RE: the one 4ga to 2 8ga. I'm doing that now no trouble, actually ive got a third going now (I have a 1 4ga-4 8ga dizzy block)

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
I'd still be hitting autobahn up for some kind of fix or reimbursement despite your byo gear. Just because you didn't pay for the stock doesn't mean you didn't pay them to install it.
And when you pay the for a service, they have an obligation to provide the service you pay for.
At the very least, start a complaint, you've got nothing to loose..

Last edited:

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Too lazy to go back and whinge to them about breaking the amp, i know theyll deny it and waste my time, on the plus side i bought a 900w monoblock and a 900w four channel amp instead... It was definately not th wiring - i had hooked up a four channel amp and it has run fine the whole time and its off the same wiring as the monoblock was (different rcas of course)... What a hassle that was, thanks for all the input guys it really did help during the trial and error of it all. Oh VKCOMMO i decided to go with 4ga - 4ga through a t block and earthed both amps at different points. So much to learn about all this :)