Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Upgrade, Less Drone

Slippy_Trippy

Unicorn Shepard
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II Commodore Acclaim
I am looking to upgrade my sub which is a no named thing I got for $40. Whilst it does the job quite nicely, being a cheap 12' it is fairly droney. I tried out a 10' Kicker the other day and it seemed to give me that really nice tight kick but without the really low stuff (obviously due to the smaller cone)

My question is, is there a compromise between lower frequency response and drone? Seeing as how I love some kick drum in my sub and not much else (just want the punch) would I be better of with a mid quality 10 or a higher quality 12. Suggesstion welcome.

Cheers

-Trippy

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
the size of the sub has much less bearing on the sound in comparison to box design.
get the best sub you can afford and then build the right box for it for what you want

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
the size of the sub has much less bearing on the sound in comparison to box design.
get the best sub you can afford and then build the right box for it for what you want

But how do you judge the best sub you can afford? By getting the (in this case) the tightest, punchiest one you can find.

Line up an identical 10 and 12 next to each other, running ideal power in ideal sealed boxes and 9 times out of 10 the 10 will give quicker response and tighter bass.
Slippy Trippy, if you aren't after massive boot shaking low down rumbling bass then I don't see any reason you would go a 12" over a 10.

Spend a bit of time designing the box and a decent 10" should give you the punch you are after

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You go a 12 to get more low end and overall output. A decent 12" sub in a good box will give you all the "punch" you'll ever need.