Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

subtle tick in Vy Ss.. help

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
hey guys! I have an 03 Vy Ss,
has just had brand new ls7 lifters after my original ones failed, and put a brand new oil pump in..
and I am still hearing a slight tick every now and then.. can someone please give me some insight on what this may be, or why it's happening ?? cheers

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Slight ticking is just a “characteristic” of the LS engines from what Ive read from other people on here. Plenty of people complain of slight ticking even after lifter replacement, especially if they have headers/extractors which amplify the noise.

Involute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
I have the same thing, replaced my working lifters in my L98 with LS7 lifters since I'd heard after 100k kms the lifter needle bearings could let go suddenly without warning. After the change one of them was ticking really bad at hot idle. My mechanic agreed it wasn't right and so re-replaced the lifters in the drivers side bank. It's a lot better now however there is still a slight tick at hot idle but I've learned to live with it, I'm not sure if that's the right approach or not. My mechanic tested the bleed rate of a another set of LS7 lifter and multiple lifters in the set to be out of spec i.e. bleed too fast, apparently quality control isn't the best but in his opinion they were still the best option, he had previous bad experiences with other brand lifter bodies cracking while in the block. Maybe keep an eye on it to see if it gets better/worse. Is the tick at hot idle or other times? What kind of oil pressure do you have?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
They can be a bit oil sensitive too, what oil are you running?

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
running this oil atm, this is what my mechanic put in when he changed all my lifters etc.

Attachments

• 20211017_171022.jpg
    20211017_171022.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 112

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
my oil pressure sits at 40 on idle, and around 60 when driving .. I assume this to be quite normal though?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
10 tenths is the bomb. Assuming your mechanic put a higher pressure pump in? 30-35psi full temp idle is good, with 10psi per 1000rpm up to about 65-70psi. Higher pressure pumps like I have run 40psi idle up to 80psi max. Your mechanic probably should have replaced all the lifters

The LS definitely has sewing machine characteristics

JaneFitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Vy SS 5.7
so my oil pressure is sitting pretty perfect then :) that's good, I don't think it was a high pressure one.. and he replaced all my lifters with ls7 ones :)