Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Subwoofer with tweeters?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Gotta a guy selling me some subs and he said that he has ' Dual 10inch subs with tweeters ' . He said that the tweeters are connected to his car and he said i'll probably need to use his 12 inch Clarion sub to give the car some *doof doof* as he said the dual 10inch subs make the music louder as oppose to giving out bass.

my question...does this make any sense? I asked a guy about it at WOW and he doesn't understand why you would attack tweeters to subs and nor do i. Anyone?

cheers

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Nope, dosent make sense at all.

The guy sounds like he has no idea.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
yep, sounds like rubbish.... as would the sound produced by this setup. sub and tweeters, but no mid range? or is he saying that 10" subs give you the midrange?
either way makes no sense.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
LOL subs with tweeters. To the OP, stay the hell away from that seller.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
not bothering with buying the stuff from this guy, went over my money situation again... lol plus he does seem clueless (like what the WOW guy said) alright. Thanks for confirming the seller is a dumbass lol.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
there was a onslaught of dual boxes that had horn loaded tweeters in them....they were full range gear and some people bought them thinking because they were 10" (some were 8s) that they were subs when in fact they were low powered musical instrument or PA speakers....steer clear of these.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I have a book about building speaker systems and in the car audio section it does have some subwoofer boxes with tweeters in the tops of them. It says it's to help establish a full range sound and balance out the bass tones. But these were only in the Ute and Van section when you have them directly behind the front seats so I suppose this would work for a kind of rear fill.

But I would personally put a couple of small boxes with some 6 inch splits on top of the sub box to get the rear fill. The tweeters they used were horn tweeters and piezoelectric tweeters, But then again the book is over ten years old so maybe they thought it was a good idea back then.