Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I would tell the service department that it is a known issue, that Holden should have recalled the bloody car rather than risk your life driving a 'death trap in the waiting'.

Demand that they call HCC to sort it out this issue of who should pay to resolve this known propblem thatmany have had fixed by Holden outside the warranty period.

Don't put up with such crap from a dealer just wanting to make a few more bob at your expense..

If your game, read back through the thread to understand the issue, get the service department to identify it's a steering rack fault (aka the recall), heck even pay them teh $140 diagnostic fee and help them to walk themselves into a corner. Then hit the vehicle selling dealer with an ACL major fault claim and request a full purchase price refund as your chosen remedy. Then when it's sorted go buy yourself an new car. Obviously if you bought the car privately or at auction, envoking ACL may not be an option.

Last edited:

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hey all

I have the same issue was driving to work and all of a sudden had loss of power steering wasn’t far from home so went back home and took other car when I started it today it’s fine,

I have 2014 Calais v, which is out of warranty called Holden service today and booked it in to get it checked, they said I may have to pay a $140 diagnostic fee. The car only has 38000kms on it.
which dealership have you booked in? seeing you in sydney, i would like to know the outcome as the code might have disappear when you show up in dealership.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
If your game, read back through the thread to understand the issue, get the service department to identify it's a steering rack fault (aka the recall), heck even pay them teh $140 diagnostic fee and help them to walk themselves into a corner. Then hit the vehicle selling dealer with an ACL major fault claim and request a full purchase price refund as your chosen remedy. Then when it's sorted go buy yourself an new car. Obviously if you bought the car privately or at auction, envoking ACL may not be an option.
this is a bloody good idea, just need to work out a way to make sure the code pop out. I don't mind paying the $140 and get them to refund me the car price !!!

tabac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais V V8
sounds like a good idea! ill see how i go on thursday, i rang holden customer care they said the car had the service bulliten fix for the loss of power steering in 2015.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like a good idea! ill see how i go on thursday, i rang holden customer care they said the car had the service bulliten fix for the loss of power steering in 2015.
Ah, there were lists of fixes ranging from applying grease, applying greace and araldite to glue the connector to the body, to revised parts with thick gold plated connectors to stop fretting corrosion for good.

But the problem is can HCC know exactly what/how it was fixed for your specific case...?

Oh, and if you see the error message on the center screen pull over and take a snap with your phone camera. Should the code disappear, atleast you have some proof.

Chubba

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV RDL
Hi Tabac,
Be interested to know if your car has failed again in the same mode that they applied the fix for in 2015 or weather this is a new failure mode. Please keep us updated.

Rgds,

tabac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais V V8
which dealership have you booked in? seeing you in sydney, i would like to know the outcome as the code might have disappear when you show up in dealership.
Hey I’m booked in to Paul Wakeling Holden Campbelltown.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
power steering error.jpg

this is the picture taken when mine failed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Tabac,
Be interested to know if your car has failed again in the same mode that they applied the fix for in 2015 or weather this is a new failure mode. Please keep us updated.

Rgds,
Obviously just applying grease didn't work for GM/GMH as they would have stayed with that cheap solution and not progressed in steps to the point of hardware redesign and in-field replacement. The fact there were multiple solutions can only indicate the last solution was the best solution. Seems earlier ones were failed patch up jobs in retrospect.

If Holden had any integrity, those early repaired vehicles should have been recalled and correctly fixed. However a voluntary recall on this issue would have been the best and only safe option which Holden seems to have dismissed.

In part it's like the second round of takata airbag replacements where manufacturers were forced to get off their butts via a mandatory recall (and my guess is there will be a third round when the results come in that amonium nitrate can never be safe).

Really, @tabac should be wanting to get hold of is the original Holden repair order as that would clarify exactly what was done to fix the problem. If it wasn't a new rack with gold connectors, i'd be demanding that fix. If a new rack with gold plated connectors was installed, Huston we have a problem.

And this really indicates why those that currently and the problem and those that had some sort of repair, should all be lodging a complain with DOTARS (link in an earlier post). Hopefully that would get the regulators involved and off their collective buts so that we may finally see some action.

Guess i can't stress enough that this should be a mandatory recall as it's a big safety issue :mad:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
View attachment 198492
this is the picture taken when mine failed.
Interesting in that this issue was first acknowledged with US police vehicles where it was stated was caused by high vehcile usage (20hrs per day).

To put that in context, most people would be luckty to do 3hrs/day and assuming an average of 15,000kms/year, police usage would amount to 20/3*15,000 which equates to 100,000kms/year.

Obviously we don't know if the problem manifests in police vehicles after a week, month or year but if we assume it manufests after a years worth of police driving, then if @RockDAhouse did his 45,654 kms over two year period, that means were are seeing the failure much earlier than Holden anticipated.

Poor engineering, customer relations and a focus on safety is all i see here