Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My personal experience with this, was a letter from Holden, highlighting the matter and my dealer applying grease. That was in 2014. 73,000 k's and no issues before or since. I am watching the discussion with interest though. As I intend on taking the first opportunity to have Holden install a new rack, if it is possible that a sudden loss of electric power assistance may occur.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Obviously just applying grease didn't work for GM/GMH as they would have stayed with that cheap solution and not progressed in steps to the point of hardware redesign and in-field replacement. The fact there were multiple solutions can only indicate the last solution was the best solution. Seems earlier ones were failed patch up jobs in retrospect.

If Holden had any integrity, those early repaired vehicles should have been recalled and correctly fixed. However a voluntary recall on this issue would have been the best and only safe option which Holden seems to have dismissed.

In part it's like the second round of takata airbag replacements where manufacturers were forced to get off their butts via a mandatory recall (and my guess is there will be a third round when the results come in that amonium nitrate can never be safe).

Really, @tabac should be wanting to get hold of is the original Holden repair order as that would clarify exactly what was done to fix the problem. If it wasn't a new rack with gold connectors, i'd be demanding that fix. If a new rack with gold plated connectors was installed, Huston we have a problem.

And this really indicates why those that currently and the problem and those that had some sort of repair, should all be lodging a complain with DOTARS (link in an earlier post). Hopefully that would get the regulators involved and off their collective buts so that we may finally see some action.

Guess i can't stress enough that this should be a mandatory recall as it's a big safety issue :mad:

The recall was a bandaid fix. All they wanted to do was push the inevitable failures to outside the warranty period.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
My personal experience with this, was a letter from Holden, highlighting the matter and my dealer applying grease. That was in 2014. 73,000 k's and no issues before or since. I am watching the discussion with interest though. As I intend on taking the first opportunity to have Holden install a new rack, if it is possible that a sudden loss of electric power assistance may occur.
I'm in the same boat as you. I've had no dramas but expecting it to happen one day. I feel sorry for Holden in advance if it happens and they have to deal with me :mad:

Interest fact, the day i picked my car up i was having a friendly chat with the salesman before i left and he made a joke about hoping i have more luck than his last customer. He told me that a few days before a customer's Redline's steering rack failed on the drive home from the dealer. I didn't think much of it at the time, i just thought the other bloke was unlucky......seems it was a sign of things to come.

tabac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais V V8
just a update my car is still under warranty, found some paperwork my car is 5 year warranty 3 years free servicing i purchased new in july 2014 so i still have a year or so according to the paper work

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
The recall was a bandaid fix. All they wanted to do was push the inevitable failures to outside the warranty period.
Yeap, I got the same response when asking holden customer service about known power steering issue. They said you car has the fix applied 2015 as part of the customer satisfaction campaign, which is the grease. I have this power steering failed 3 times in 2 days, last time while turning left and end up in opposite lane, which bloody freak me out (should have download the dashcam video but I've totally forgotten to do so). Even though it is not happening now since it has been "fixed" I am really tense/worry when driving this car now. Holden should do a recall and have all the affected steering rack replaced and this should give me a piece of mind. I'm battling with my brain everyday now and might end up trading the car in ...

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I'll get the alignment done this week and see how it goes. Geez, never thought my beloved car giving me so much trouble.
RockDAhouse, did you get that wheel alignment? If so, what's your thoughts so far. Tough paying for parts not needed. Who knows, your new parts might have new p/n's and also be revised for VF2. I know it would be appreciated by alot of us members, if anyone knows if other steering components are different betwen series 1 and 2 such as those replaced by RockDAhouse.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The GM Recall doc lists the part numbers that need to be changed so it would be interesting to know if it is these are the parts that Holden is using as replacements.

I think someone posted their repair receipt which lists parts so I should compar it to the recall.

@RockDAhouse read the recall notice in the thread, the last section has a method where an owner can claim for repairs used to fix or attempt to fix the fault the recall addresses. If GM has such a process, Holden should be able to come to the party and reimburse you... Don’t give up and convert, fight like a Furyan.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In post 85 @killingwithasmile lists his repair receipt but the listed part number for the Electric Belt Drive Rack & Pinion Steering Gear Holden used is different to the US recall notice.

He had p/n:92289254 installed but the recall reference p/n:92289255 though I don’t know what difference there is (maybe the Holden part has no gold plating on the connector contacts; does anyone know?).

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
In post 85 @killingwithasmile lists his repair receipt but the listed part number for the Electric Belt Drive Rack & Pinion Steering Gear Holden used is different to the US recall notice.

He had p/n:92289254 installed but the recall reference p/n:92289255 though I don’t know what difference there is (maybe the Holden part has no gold plating on the connector contacts; does anyone know?).

LHD versus RHD?