Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
RockDAhouse, did you get that wheel alignment? If so, what's your thoughts so far.
unfortunately no, was going to do that this week but since it has been raining in sydney and I refuse to drive my car during rain as it is SCARY. off topic here, for wheel alignment should I just go to any independent tyre shop down the road or the franchise one like bridgestoone/jax?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@RockDAhouse did you take the car to Holden after the last discussion with Customer Care?

From what’s written you’ve had a reoccurrence of the issue so they should see the codes (or your recent pic). If you did take it back, what did Holden say? Is their ‘grease’ solution their final solution?

Just take note that @somfman had his rack replaced after they did the ‘grease’ fix back in 2015 as stated in post #57 so there is a precedent ;)

And why do you need a wheel alignment? Does the steering angle sensor change require it and did your mechanic indicate this when he changed it?

When/if a rack is changed under warranty, then it’s a Holden issue to do the wheel alignment and steering calibration, etc. You shouldn’t have to do anything.

I’m a little confused where you are with this problem, other than feeling frustrated and wanting to get rid of the vehicle.

Have you given any more thought to a major fault claim under ACL?

Last edited:

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hey Skylarking, I didn't have my rack replaced as when I rock up to dealership they said scan tools didn't pick up any codes. Spoke to customer care and they said well grease has been applied, no further issue arise. Then I got the code popping up one day and went to an independent mechanic and guess what his scan tool picks up the error, he then replaced the angle position sensor and the module, he assured me nothing wrong with the rack at all. (he is a great mech, not trying to give him bad reputation) After I get the car back and drive it for a week or so I found the steering wheel is behaving weird... especially when going through slight turn .... the steering wheel will go heavy and you can feel it is trying to go more right where it is not suppose to. sometime when driving straight, can feel the steering goes heavy and wants to go either way. to me it is just like there is a miscommunication between the steering wheel and the rack/wheel .... or something. ask to go 1 o'clock and it goes 2 ....

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hey Skylarking, I didn't have my rack replaced as when I rock up to dealership they said scan tools didn't pick up any codes. Spoke to customer care and they said well grease has been applied, no further issue arise. Then I got the code popping up one day and went to an independent mechanic and guess what his scan tool picks up the error, he then replaced the angle position sensor and the module, he assured me nothing wrong with the rack at all. (he is a great mech, not trying to give him bad reputation) After I get the car back and drive it for a week or so I found the steering wheel is behaving weird... especially when going through slight turn .... the steering wheel will go heavy and you can feel it is trying to go more right where it is not suppose to. sometime when driving straight, can feel the steering goes heavy and wants to go either way. to me it is just like there is a miscommunication between the steering wheel and the rack/wheel .... or something. ask to go 1 o'clock and it goes 2 ....
That sounds bad. As in dangerous! I wouldn't be driving it. I'd tell your dealer the cars steering is dangerously erratic and you don't feel safe driving it. But, that it needs to be fixed ASAP. Ask them to arrange a truck to pick it up and take it in for repair.
Can the other mechanic provide you with details or evidence of the code to show the dealer?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes it sounds bad and i wouldn't drive it.
Bad enough that it reaches the major fault level within ACL.
Purchase price refund time ;)

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan

Did your mechainic re-zero the new steering angle sensor after he installed it ? And what other module did he replace ?
Unfortunately a lot of internal service information does not get passed onto independents and thats by all the car manufacturers. My cousin had a yaw rate sensor replaced on his VF1 Redline by an independent shop and they didn't recalibrate it to his car due to not knowing they needed too.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did your mechainic re-zero the new steering angle sensor after he installed it ? And what other module did he replace ?
Unfortunately a lot of internal service information does not get passed onto independents and thats from all major car manufacturers. My cousin had a yaw rate sensor replaced on his VF1 Redline by an independent shop and they didn't recalibrate it to his car due to not knowing they needed too.
That’s why we need the ACCC and governments to force vehicle manufacturers to make workshop manuals, TSB and recall information available (at a fair price).

The fact that you can have your vehicle independently serviced is legislated (indirectly) and can’t be used as an excuse to invalidate warranty. But having lacking information not accessible by 3rd party repairers makes a mockery of such which is why I feel we need specific legislation to force the information out... Consumers would be the beneficiaries of making such knowledge accesable.

I’ve said it before, but to be sure, others have has the 2015 grease fix and later had their steering rack replaced. The underlying issue related to power steering failure is borderline criminal and ACCC/DOTARS need to force a mandatory recall to resolve this dangerous that impacts all road users, not just Holden VF owners.

Sadly, at the moment it is what it is so the OP should get his vehicle to the Dealer pronto and have the system and it’s claibration checked. obviously phrased in a way 5hat still puts the onus on H9lden to fix their stuff up in designing 5he electric power steering system.

I doubt OP’s vehicle needs a wheel alignment but when I get a moment, I’ll check my pirate PDF rubbishy manual which hopefully will clarify if wheel alignment or calibration is also required on angle sensor change.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That’s why we need the ACCC and governments to force vehicle manufacturers to make workshop manuals, TSB and recall information available (at a fair price).

The ACCC's recent crack at vehicle manufacturers had this as one of its key points. I CBF finding the link now but it is on the ACCC website for all to see.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Yeah, he said he needs to re calibrate all the settings in the module again which took quite sometime as well. Only 2 parts are replaced, steering angle position sensor and the power steering module.
Unfortunately a lot of internal service information does not get passed onto independents and thats by all the car manufacturers.
That is true, I was chatting to him that time as well and he said they normally get the information 3 years after the car is released. But then is that the full information? Only the manufacture can tell.

I'm going to write ACCC a nice letter about this now.

@tabac @Banjo79 have yours been replaced?

Last edited: