Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

TP 2014 SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV
Hi just an update for you guys . Ive rang my dealer this morning. Car is booked in for monday to get the rack assessed. They were really good on the phone and said most likely the rack will be replaced even tho my car has run out of warranty . They need the car for a couple days . They are going to put a request into Holdens for the rack if there is a issue warranty wise. Cars getting its service done as well.
Ill keep you guys posted how it turns out . Fingers crossed

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My concern is that the fix (a new rack) doesn't remedy the issue going forward. I'd hate in another few years time to have the same thing happen to me. Because they are not properly addressing this issue in an open and transparent way I'm not confident that this won't be a reoccurrig problem for the electric steering commodores.
Fair comment Snow. Although, the gold coated electrical connections are meant to permanently address the issue, with regard to corrossion. Presumably the wiring connector also has better resistance to water ingress?
Thankfully, I've never had an issue with mine. But, I'm about to sell the car to my eldest Son and part of me wants to have the rack replaced before I do.
In reality any mechanical or electrical device can fail. For example losing a belt off an hydraulic power steering pump. Perhaps electric short circuits in this system actually try to steer the car itself though?
Interesting HSV has remaimed silent on the issue too?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My concern is that the fix (a new rack) doesn't remedy the issue going forward. I'd hate in another few years time to have the same thing happen to me. Because they are not properly addressing this issue in an open and transparent way I'm not confident that this won't be a reoccurrig problem for the electric steering commodores.
Agree that this issue has not been addressed in an open and transparent manner by Holden. Further, it has not been addressed by the regulators that are ment to ensure safe vehicle designs; there should be a mandatory recall on this issue.

By all the accounts I’ve read, the updated rack with the gold plated connectors, mechanically more robust connector, etc, should address the underlying fretting corrosion and is an acceptable solution for the US recall on this subject. In any case, it’s about the best solution we can hope for, short of retrofitting the old hydraulic steering and ditching the self park feature (which I don’t use).

Part ninja’d by @426Cuda so need to type quicker..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hi just an update for you guys . Ive rang my dealer this morning. Car is booked in for monday to get the rack assessed. They were really good on the phone and said most likely the rack will be replaced even tho my car has run out of warranty.... Fingers crossed
If they check the steering and say all is OK, thank them but state to their manager that, as on their advice, the vehicle is ‘safe’ you will continue to drive it despite this issue being a recall in the USA. However, clarify with them that if an accident occurs and is due to a steering issues, you’d hope their insurance is paid up as you’ll be seeing a lawyer and taking action through the courts. If they are at all business minded and sensible, watch as they scramble to get the rack changed.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
In reality any mechanical or electrical device can fail. For example losing a belt off an hydraulic power steering pump.

True, but.....

- It shouldn't fail at such a "young" age, certainly not what a reasonable person would expect in terms of life span;

- Given the known issues, the dealers should be doing everything possible to rectify, no matter the cost to them;

- Belt from a a hydraulic steering system is a consumable. The issues with the electric steering, not so much.

Last edited:

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
@TP 2014 SSV at least you can speak to someone that at least "entertain" you. Every time i call the dealership and ask to speak to a service advisor, the receptionist which is clueless has no idea at all what I'm talking about and refuse to pass my message on or get someone to call me back. When I tell her about the error I'm getting and something to do with the steering rack, I can know the clueless in her voice and all she said is drive it in ... I said power steering failure, how to drive in ... she just umm.... book a service then? WTF?! that is why i gave up on them

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
True, but.....

- It shouldn't fail at such a "young" age, certainly not what a reasonable person would expect in terms of life span;

- Given the known issues, the dealers should be doing everything possible to rectify, no matter the cost to them;

- Belt from a a hydraulic steering system is a consumable. The issues with the electric steering, not so much.

To me the age of the vehicle is irrelevant. The problem is a design fault. A fault that Holden acknowledged in 2014 (while all VFs were still under warranty) and developed a 'fix' for in early 2015. The fix has proven to be a temporary solution (which IMO they knew it would be) with a new steering rack with upgraded parts the permanent solution.
Basically, they should have recalled and replaced all early VF steering racks to rectify this design flaw back in 2014.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
To me the age of the vehicle is irrelevant.

The age of the vehicle is totally relevant, particularly when it is happening so early in the vehicle life.....imho, even a 3 - 4 year old vehicle is young. My comment re "reasonable person" is a key aspect to the law that protects us all.

If this was happening on a 20 year old vehicle, different story. A reasonable person would not expect it to be faultless after that period of time.

In case my comments were posted in yiddish, it agrees that the situation is sh!t and Holden need to address it.

I know @Skylarking bangs on about the ACL a lot, but he/she is completely correct. All of the VF owners with this, and other issues, need to push for the consumer guarantees that are available to them under law to be honoured. Warranty or no warranty.....it doesn't make any difference. You are not lucky if Holden agree to rectify it outside of the manufacturer's warranty. They have just complied with their obligations under the law.

Stop diddling around, educate yourselves and demand action from Holden. We'e not talking about some cheap phone cover from China here. We're talkng about an expesnive machine with faults that could result in death or serious injury.

The ACCC website has all the information you need, including details of Holden's court enforceable undertaking that they will stop fcuking people over.

Go and challenge them.