Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Soooo......... After reading this thread, should I be concerned? I have a 2013 SSV with less than 60,000Kms. It normally (but not always) gets driven pretty easily. I've had no problem with the steering so far, but is it going to fail at some time? Is there some preventative maintenance that could be done, or do I just wait for the "unexpected"? Surely if this is the case there should've been a recall!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Handy Andy, no doubt, as you have already read, i have recommend that people lodge a formal complaint about this safety issue with DOTARS.

You can report your safety issue to DOTARS here.

best to mention the fault conditions you experienced, the cavalier attitude you experienced from the Holden dealer and what you learnt from googling this issue (recall in USA, Holden quietly replacing racks gratis but in some cases the dealers trying to charge for this, etc).

As I’ve said before,many times, everyone who suffered or is suffering this issue should be lodging a formal complaint with DOTARS as this will ensure our regulators will have no where to hide and will force their hand to do what is required - a mandatory recall.

Some day, someone will be killed by a crash attributed to electric power steering failure and I wonder how people who could have reported it but chose not to will feel then? I know i’d feel bad; in fact I may see if i’m able to lodge a complaint even though i’m not suffering such an issue...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
...Surely if this is the case there should've been a recall!
You’d think so.

But look at the mandatory Holden airbag recall impacting 300,000? of their vehicles - after they swore till blue in the face that their vehicles were not impacted.

Like most businesses, honour has no meaning... just show me the money :oops:

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
Okay, have had another phone call from the dealer, GMH is going to cover ALL costs. I was told that they can get an new rack here (Country NSW) by Wednesday. He asked if we could leave the car with them now, so that if they get a spare half hour they can work on removing the old rack and on Wed they only have to install the new one. I make the comment that I had only just had a wheel alignment done a couple of months ago. His reply was "well it will have to be done again but don't worry Holden are covering all costs"
So there we have it, yes, I didn't get a particularly satisfactory service the first time I went into the dealer but since then they have been very good, can't fault the service. Let's hope the next couple of days are the same as today.
Skylarking, it does beg the question, if they are so quick to cover all costs is that their guilty conscious or are they just being really nice! It is a dangerous fault, I'm just glad it has happened when I've been driving and not my wife.

Just to give those that are interested the info. the dealer said the w/sale price on this job would be about $1,500 and retail about $2,000. Ouch!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Handy Andy, many a dealer would sell his grandmothers lap rug for a dollar, they have no conscience and they are not being nice.

Nice would be something above normal, like a loan car and the next service thrown in free. Actually, i'd expect the load car to be provided as part of this grey recall.

It's a known issue and the dealer should have recognised this when you first popped in. In fact, it was not a good idea for them to let you drive out as they open up all sorts of liabilities had you crashed and the cause linked to electric power steering failure.

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
Skylarking, just on what you were saying about the recall of Takata airbags, Holden has never had airbags with the Alpha inflators so the original recall didn't apply to Holden. The Aust Government issued a new compulsory recall on the 28th Feb 2018 for all Takata inflators with the phase-stabilised ammonium nitrate propellants. Although the problems with the PSAN airbags are similar to the problems with the Alpha airbags it is nowhere near as dangerous.
6 months ago I too had been thinking "how come GMH isn't issuing any recalls" and started to get a bit concerned. But after a bit of research and then the PSAN recall I realised that no Aust made Holden has Takata airbags in them, it is only the imported models that have them.

Sean80

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV ute
Ok guys first time poster. This issue happened to me on the weekend near put my 2013 plated my14 ssv ute over a roundabout acared tha **** outta me. anyway got it home and after multiple restarts still no power steering and alarm on lcd stating service power steering. got in contact with HCC this eveing and was told to take it to my dealer so they can diagnose if it is the rack. no mention from them knowing about this issue still waiting for a reply on whether holden will replace at their cost if it is the rack please see attched images of convo. awesome forum guys lots of good info

Cheers
Screenshot_20180326-222124_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20180326-222120_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20180326-222104_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20180326-222058_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20180326-222049_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20180326-222042_Messenger.jpg

Sean80

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV ute
**** sorry for the pics dont know what happened there not in order

RedCap1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm V8 Ute
Holden Calais V MY14

Today, on rainy day, I was entering a corner at a sensible speed when all of a sudden as I turned the steering wheel to the left to keep in my lane, a error displayed showing something along the lines of:

Power steering assistance unavailable. Service Power Steering

With strength, I got through the sharp corner and pulled over. The steering wheel became very heavy to use. I then turned the car on and off and everything worked fine again.

I have had the VF Calais V serviced up to date, all recalls checked and completed and I am trying to figure out what to do other than book it in for service.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

I found this website which shows my issue. But I don't understand a campaign which has been setup by holden apparently for this type of problem. Is that a recall? Is it something I can get fixed under warranty even if my car is months out?

Thanks for shedding any light

was the problem solved by Holden

RedCap1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm V8 Ute
**** sorry for the pics don't know what happened there not in order

I only today had the same problem cannot believe others have been caught up in this and yet there has been no recall surely Holden should be taking this seriously much like the airbags saga - fortunately occurred at a low speed.